Anyone here has a bicycle?

RoomScape

12 minutes ago, RuggedIV said:

What exactly do you need tips on?
Like how to ride, or? 😂

Yeah, how do you keep your balance? I kick off and am good but then fall down every single time...

4 minutes ago, Naked said:

My training wheels fell off so I can't ride mine :(

Kick off like I do. It makes it easier but then once my bike slows down it's hard..

No but seriously, want tips on maintenance. What tools to have and I want a saddle bag, etc. Want to see what others recommend.

26 minutes ago, RoomScape said:

Yeah, how do you keep your balance? I kick off and am good but then fall down every single time...

Kick off like I do. It makes it easier but then once my bike slows down it's hard..

No but seriously, want tips on maintenance. What tools to have and I want a saddle bag, etc. Want to see what others recommend.

Keeping balance is more to do with figuring out what position your body is comfortable in when sitting on the bike. For me, my biggest obstacle was keeping my body steady while pedalling, once you get past that, it's just experience that helps (Some people are different ofc)

Also, personally, when I slow down, I have a bit of trouble keeping balance on some bikes, so I just slowly use my leg to just make sure I don't fall off until I get to a stand still. 

Maintenance, IMO, depends on the bike. But basics.... keep it away from rain, and just overall clean. WD40 helps a lot if at any point you start feeling resistance on your wheels. And a basic adjustable spanner helps if you need to tighten a bolt or change your seats height. Also some tissues in case your chain falls off when changing gears (happens on cheaper bikes more often ofc), trust me, having your hands covered in dirty oil ain't fun. You can buy a simple bicycle tire fixing kit as well just in case that happens. Everything else is mostly just personal preference. If you feel like something is wrong with your bike, then there probably is a problem. 

Also be sure both wheels are aligned (trued) properly (you can a wheel done on a wheel for like $15/£12 each). You'll notice the difference in keeping balance long term wise, especially when going faster, trying to keep up with traffic or just overall just cycling

Accessories also depend on what you're planning to use the bike for. I have a cheap phone holder, a bottle holder that attaches to the lower parts of the bike, and a simple bell (people seem to notice them more than anything motorised for some reason)

Not a bike guru, but have been cycling my entire life on cheaper bikes (planning on upgrading soon to an ebike though :doge:)

4 hours ago, Protoprize said:

Keeping balance is more to do with figuring out what position your body is comfortable in when sitting on the bike. For me, my biggest obstacle was keeping my body steady while pedalling, once you get past that, it's just experience that helps (Some people are different ofc)

Also, personally, when I slow down, I have a bit of trouble keeping balance on some bikes, so I just slowly use my leg to just make sure I don't fall off until I get to a stand still. 

Maintenance, IMO, depends on the bike. But basics.... keep it away from rain, and just overall clean. WD40 helps a lot if at any point you start feeling resistance on your wheels. And a basic adjustable spanner helps if you need to tighten a bolt or change your seats height. Also some tissues in case your chain falls off when changing gears (happens on cheaper bikes more often ofc), trust me, having your hands covered in dirty oil ain't fun. You can buy a simple bicycle tire fixing kit as well just in case that happens. Everything else is mostly just personal preference. If you feel like something is wrong with your bike, then there probably is a problem. 

Also be sure both wheels are aligned (trued) properly (you can a wheel done on a wheel for like $15/£12 each). You'll notice the difference in keeping balance long term wise, especially when going faster, trying to keep up with traffic or just overall just cycling

Accessories also depend on what you're planning to use the bike for. I have a cheap phone holder, a bottle holder that attaches to the lower parts of the bike, and a simple bell (people seem to notice them more than anything motorised for some reason)

Not a bike guru, but have been cycling my entire life on cheaper bikes (planning on upgrading soon to an ebike though :doge:)

I was joking about the first half, but still appreciated. I see that people say rain and water doesn’t affect the bikes and just use wet/dry oil depending on the environment..I have my bike in my room but thinking of throwing it outside. How often does the chain pop? I remember this happened when I was younger but I never did anything to my bike when I was younger so I thought that was why. 

do you use tools to clean the chains or just WD40 and a rag?

5 hours ago, RoomScape said:

I was joking about the first half, but still appreciated. I see that people say rain and water doesn’t affect the bikes and just use wet/dry oil depending on the environment..I have my bike in my room but thinking of throwing it outside. How often does the chain pop? I remember this happened when I was younger but I never did anything to my bike when I was younger so I thought that was why. 

I had a friend who took like a year to learn how to ride it, so it didn't phase me :feels:

But, imo, rain will always affect it, especially the cheaper bikes. I keep mine outside (back garden) with just a tarp over it and it chained to a post. I use it quiet a bit so it's never idle for more than like 2 days. Like once every 3 months ish I need to oil it up again tho.  At the beginning I remember the chain falling off a lot, I've fixed it by bending the gear lever slightly and no more chain falling off problems

And ngl, wd40 and a rag goes a long way on an cheaper bike, ofc, if you've invested into a better bike, use specially made stuff, otherwise, you'll pretty much be using what you think is best for your bike :D 

6 hours ago, RoomScape said:

once again comes back to type of bike, brand of bike, how much bike costs. I was a professional bmxer... the more you spend on a bike the less maintenance it needs. 

5 hours ago, Protoprize said:

I had a friend who took like a year to learn how to ride it, so it didn't phase me :feels:

But, imo, rain will always affect it, especially the cheaper bikes. I keep mine outside (back garden) with just a tarp over it and it chained to a post. I use it quiet a bit so it's never idle for more than like 2 days. Like once every 3 months ish I need to oil it up again tho.  At the beginning I remember the chain falling off a lot, I've fixed it by bending the gear lever slightly and no more chain falling off problems

And ngl, wd40 and a rag goes a long way on an cheaper bike, ofc, if you've invested into a better bike, use specially made stuff, otherwise, you'll pretty much be using what you think is best for your bike :D 

5 hours ago, whipz said:

once again comes back to type of bike, brand of bike, how much bike costs. I was a professional bmxer... the more you spend on a bike the less maintenance it needs. 

I have a Trek FX 1.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/hybrid-bikes/fitness-bikes/fx/fx-1/p/17446/

This is a cheap bike but I was told having it in the rain won't mess it up.

11 minutes ago, RoomScape said:

I have a Trek FX 1.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/hybrid-bikes/fitness-bikes/fx/fx-1/p/17446/

This is a cheap bike but I was told having it in the rain won't mess it up.

Rain won't do nothing to it if you follow the GCN's tips on maintenence. Keeping it clean and fresh will prevent chemical reactions that makes it look ugly and affects performance.

And also, try learn how to maintain it yourself as it's not that hard once you know how to do it, cause 1; it fun doing so, and 2; it saves you money.

HAPPY RIDING!

Edited by strakks

1 hour ago, strakks said:

Rain won't do nothing to it if you follow the GCN's tips on maintenence. Keeping it clean and fresh will prevent chemical reactions that makes it look ugly and affects performance.

And also, try learn how to maintain it yourself as it's not that hard once you know how to do it, cause 1; it fun doing so, and 2; it saves you money.

HAPPY RIDING!

Is GCN one of the best things there are? You’re the second one to mention it so I don’t know. 
I generally like taking to actual people about their experiences than some site or something because it’s more specific I find. 

31 minutes ago, RoomScape said:

Is GCN one of the best things there are? You’re the second one to mention it so I don’t know. 
I generally like taking to actual people about their experiences than some site or something because it’s more specific I find. 

I've always been interested in bikes and biking. A few years ago I rode hard tail (dirt jumps) and also worked as a bicycle mechanics for one semester but when I started studying that activity got lost. Two weeks ago I took cycling in manner again and bought a road racer as a perfect hobby now when corona's all around. Since then I've been watching GCN to get tips on how to maintain and ride the bike in the most optimal way and I must say that from earlier experience as well as my empirical perception of the tips they've given me; they know what they're doing. Furthermore they will give you "life hack" tips that will save you the time, effort and money from buying expensive bike tools.

Keep watching and enjoy their vids man!

• Gunman locked this topic