Just got banned on a manually played account -- ideas?

Gabriel Ramuglia

So, have a few accounts banned this week.

I think I signed up for all the accounts on my normal desktop pc IP, maybe a week or two ago.

Botted a few accounts (each using a different proxy ip) -- they were each banned, nothing special there.

Moved on to a new account, new IP. No botting, was just manually playing the account.

Attacked a few cows to get some attack levels. Buried bones for prayer levels. Cooked meat for cooking levels. Got a bit of woodcutting / firemaking, nothing extreme.

Did the Fred the Farmer quest to get some crafting XP. 

Mined clay / soft clay for a bit to get crafting up to level 8. Mined some tin (dropped it after mining) to get mining level up to 11.

Mined a little more clay, turned it into soft clay, sold it at GE.

Bought gold bars. Started making unstrung gold amulets. Sold one batch of them, was making another batch.

Bam! Banned.

Maybe a couple hours gametime.

What gives? Think it was the IP issue (multiple accounts were signed up from the same browser IP)? Think someone manually looked at my manual play and flagged it was a bot? 

The only thing this account botted was tutorial island. Think that did me in?

Really disappointed.

1 hour ago, Gabriel Ramuglia said:

So, have a few accounts banned this week.

I think I signed up for all the accounts on my normal desktop pc IP, maybe a week or two ago.

Botted a few accounts (each using a different proxy ip) -- they were each banned, nothing special there.

Moved on to a new account, new IP. No botting, was just manually playing the account.

Attacked a few cows to get some attack levels. Buried bones for prayer levels. Cooked meat for cooking levels. Got a bit of woodcutting / firemaking, nothing extreme.

Did the Fred the Farmer quest to get some crafting XP. 

Mined clay / soft clay for a bit to get crafting up to level 8. Mined some tin (dropped it after mining) to get mining level up to 11.

Mined a little more clay, turned it into soft clay, sold it at GE.

Bought gold bars. Started making unstrung gold amulets. Sold one batch of them, was making another batch.

Bam! Banned.

Maybe a couple hours gametime.

What gives? Think it was the IP issue (multiple accounts were signed up from the same browser IP)? Think someone manually looked at my manual play and flagged it was a bot? 

The only thing this account botted was tutorial island. Think that did me in?

Really disappointed.

Which Tutorial Island script did you use?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, got another F2P account banned, this time with 100% manual play.

Did tut island pretty quick (manual)

Collected free logs and burned them at lumbridge bank. Collected ashes.

Killed some chickens to level 3 strength. Cut trees to level 5 wood cutting.

Sold ashes for a bit of starting money. Bought some weapons and armor. Bought 500 jugs. Started filling them with water, so I could get some more starting money (shooting for 20k or so).

Was looking to get an amulet of power so I could level up my attack more effectively.

Then, bam! Got banned after manually filling about 400 jugs with water (wasn't done with all 500).

What a joke.

• Sad 1

Yeah, I've appealed the ban. I think the IP may have had one other ban for botting. The IP hasn't gotten a lot of use, but yeah, it had one other botting ban a couple weeks back.

With zero botting on this account though, and how quickly the account got banned, I'm really thinking it's just a matter of "do anything that makes money in free to play = ban". It's clearly not a case of "bot detection"

That said, it was the OSBOT client, although, without running any scripts at all.

So that gives really 3 possibilities:

Black / Greylisted IP

Client detection

"new accounts aren't allowed to make money"

Thanks for the tips on that!

I should be able to narrow down if the first two things were the issue or if it's strictly the third thing.

I’d be interested to know if you eliminate one of the first 2 possibilities. If often wondered the benefit of mirrored client, so that would make the choice easier.

If client though, it would raise the question: why are account that use the osbot client not instabanned? If it’s that simple, how do others use it for weeks without a ban.

Have you used the mirrored OSBOT client? If not, I have experienced some bans when I didn’t use the mirror version. In many cases, my account was banned after 3 hours of botting without mirror mode. They can still detect that you are not using the original Runescape client. This means you can get a ban without actually running a bot script, but because you are already using a bot program.

Based on my experience, I believe it is valuable to purchase VIP to have a lower ban rate.

Edited by Geeseball
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Geeseball said:

Have you used the mirrored OSBOT client? If not, I have experienced some bans when I didn’t use the mirror version. In many cases, my account was banned after 3 hours of botting without mirror mode. They can still detect that you are not using the original Runescape client. This means you can get a ban without actually running a bot script, but because you are already using a bot program.

Based on my experience, I believe it is valuable to purchase VIP to have a lower ban rate.

That would mean they could ban anyone who is using runelite too. I dont think they can see which client, that would be too easy for them.

1 hour ago, Liamo said:

I’d be interested to know if you eliminate one of the first 2 possibilities. If often wondered the benefit of mirrored client, so that would make the choice easier.

If client though, it would raise the question: why are account that use the osbot client not instabanned? If it’s that simple, how do others use it for weeks without a ban.

This is why I'm leaning towards "behavior banning" rather than "bot banning" -- i.e. start doing something that makes money within an hour of starting a new account = ban.

But, I'll do some tests to see if that's more or less likely what's going on.

5 hours ago, Kramnik said:

That would mean they could ban anyone who is using runelite too. I dont think they can see which client, that would be too easy for them.

There you do have a point. My accounts that received a ban also came directly from tutorial island, so that certainly plays a part. However, I still believe that mirror mode reduces the chance of a ban.