Java & Python Language Help

Alibi

Hey guys,

I’ve read every post I can find on Java vs Other programming languages but I still have a question I can’t seem to find the answer for. 
If I pursue to learn python, will I then be able to make scripts for Osbot? Or since OSbot/OSRS runs on java, would I only be able to scripts with the Java language?
I feel like the answer is obvious but I want to be 100% sure before I pursue a programming language. 

26 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Scripts will have to be written in Java.

However Python is an extremely useful language to learn and can be implemented in external tools that assist you in botting.

Python is not a waste of time in any means here.

I hope it’s not selfish of me to ask, but, what programming language would you recommend for a brand new beginner to learn? 
I was originally steering to python due to the “simplistic” nature of programming but Java has honestly now peaked my interest with me getting into the botting whole realm

2 hours ago, Malcolm said:

However Python is an extremely useful language to learn and can be implemented in external tools that assist you in botting.

Any examples? :D Would be fun to learn python by working on something that helps botting

@Alibi

Really both Python and Java are good first languages. 

Java was my first language and then I began to expand into Python.

If you want Python expect this:

if __name__ == '__main__':
    print("Hello world")

and if you go with Java expect this:

public static void main(String[] args) {
        System.out.println("Hello world");
    }

All trolls aside, either or are good languages to pickup on. There's probably more syntax involved with Java but python you need to be aware of indentation. 

Both have their pros and cons. 

Pick one :doge:

6 hours ago, Malcolm said:

@Alibi

print("Hello world")

}

All trolls aside, either or are good languages to pickup on. There's probably more syntax involved with Java but python you need to be aware of indentation. 

Interesting topic of discussion, being website developer I learnt fundamentals of PHP, HTML & CSS as a young age and any extended knowledge came from trial and error and age, how did you learn the fundamentals of java and python? 

7 hours ago, Malcolm said:

@Alibi

print("Hello world")

}

Thanks for the insight. I've done a little practice on python before and although it seems a little less complex, i might have to go with Java!

10 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Also @Malcolm, with Python, can you give me a brief example of what external tools can be implemented to help botting? Curiosity is killing me haha

On 4/21/2020 at 9:21 AM, Alibi said:

Thanks for the insight. I've done a little practice on python before and although it seems a little less complex, i might have to go with Java!

Also @Malcolm, with Python, can you give me a brief example of what external tools can be implemented to help botting? Curiosity is killing me haha

https://osbot.org/forum/topic/159463-osrs-account-creatoropen-sourceworking-2020cli-integration/

• 5 weeks later...
On 4/21/2020 at 7:18 AM, Malcolm said:

Java is not a perfect first programming language. Python is more friendly for fresh developers. 
Everything depends on what u want to do with this knowledge. If u want to stick with osbot scripts learn java, but if you want to be a full time programmer think what u really what to do. Whole programming thing is devided into many categories, many programming languages has different usages.

Edited by Efpkaf

16 hours ago, Efpkaf said:

Java is not a perfect first programming language. Python is more friendly for fresh developers. 
Everything depends on what u want to do with this knowledge. If u want to stick with osbot scripts learn java, but if you want to be a full time programmer think what u really what to do. Whole programming thing is devided into many categories, many programming languages has different usages.

I hate this advice. Everone has to start somewhere.  Program is problem solving. It realy does not matter where or what you learn as long as you find it fun and engaging. I teach 10-15 years how to program and they always ask what is the best/fastest/coolest. I all ways use "i statements" when talking about those. You can learn the basic syntax of c type (blocked) language in week (few hours) if you never programed a day in your life on khan academy. Its instant feed back... of  'this' did 'this' and 'this' did 'that' and that broke the whole program. Then go look up the almost 1 to 1 correlation of syntax and pogram in any language you want.   But problem solving of programing is something you have to apply yourself. There are not alot of short cuts to problem solving you need to find out what works for you and apply it. I bet you could program in APL https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APL_(programming_language) , lisp, haskel. They look "hard" not because they are hard but becuase you've never seen it befor. You can change to any languages but the lessons you learn to solve problems make the next problem easier.

p.s. this post is 30 days old............

Edited by Nbacon

1 hour ago, Nbacon said:

I hate this advice. Everone has to start somewhere.  Program is problem solving. It realy does not matter where or what you learn as long as you find it fun and engaging. I teach 10-15 years how to program and they always ask what is the best/fastest/coolest. I all ways use "i statements" when talking about those. You can learn the basic syntax of c type (blocked) language in week (few hours) if you never programed a day in your life on khan academy. Its instant feed back... of  'this' did 'this' and 'this' did 'that' and that broke the whole program. Then go look up the almost 1 to 1 correlation of syntax and pogram in any language you want.   But problem solving of programing is something you have to apply yourself. There are not alot of short cuts to problem solving you need to find out what works for you and apply it. I bet you could program in APL https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APL_(programming_language) , lisp, haskel. They look "hard" not because they are hard but becuase you've never seen it befor. You can change to any languages but the lessons you learn to solve problems make the next problem easier.

p.s. this post is 30 days old............

I've done python for 3 years and moved to java programming recently.

With Osbot the creators have done 90-95% of the work creating methods for everything in runescape.

I'd say learning Java through osbot / botting is 10x easier maybe more than the things I've been doing in python.

Any1 reading this thinking what shall I start first, just do whatever you have the most passion for, motivation is the only thing that matters when it comes to programming and time spent on your projects.