Anyone bot with cloud VMs?

lacergunn

I recently read a thing on p****bot's forums saying that you could use google cloud platform's VM functions to run a botfarm on a cloud server. I'm trying it out now with their free trials, and I'm not seeing any issues on my end. Anyone else doing this?

Spoiler

Everyone probably already knows about this, and i'm just an idiot.

I am an IT professional with a ton of servers lying around my house, hosted cloud computing is the only reason I'm even interested in running a bot farm.

On 8/17/2019 at 9:08 PM, Zummy said:

I've worked with Azure for a little bit but I burned through my free credit real quick. I wonder how long $300 will last you.

If you're not trying to go mass scale, you would do much better by buying used server hardware off ebay and setting everything up yourself.

On 8/24/2019 at 6:17 AM, heavy_rope said:

I am an IT professional with a ton of servers lying around my house, hosted cloud computing is the only reason I'm even interested in running a bot farm.

If you're not trying to go mass scale, you would do much better by buying used server hardware off ebay and setting everything up yourself.

I'm very curious to see how you calculated estimated monthly costs. What you do think running a 100 bots would cost you?

• 1 year later...

I don't see any issue w/ it. I would wrap the jar in a docker image w/ osbot cli as the entrypoint and run it on GKE. Use the script/account details as configurations and you can scale a farm easily. I would think preemptible nodes would be fine depending on the task at hand. For more serious/risky scripts I would think you need non-preemptible

Edited by Mom

Cloud is almost like a marketing term which makes the price tag slightly higher. Well, cloud can still be affordable but big names like gcp definitely charge more than less well-known providers. I haven't compared prices directly but I'm pretty sure clouds like hetzner/scaleway are cheaper. Heck, even those more known ones like digitalocean/vultr/linode are probably cheaper.