Scripting

corey1996

7 minutes ago, corey1996 said:

How did you guys learn how to make scripts and how would an absolute beginner even begin learning to make scripts? Something I want to get into 

If you look underneath Support Section -> Scripting Help  Will help answer most your questions. Good luck on your journey.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chris said:

Learn Java, Git(Only if you want scripts on the SDN), & how to read Java Documentation.

Until then don't event attempt writing scripts because it will just be crafted poorly. I recommend Derek banas, or Head First Java book for Java tutorials. 

+1 I can't read my own scripts even if I tried to simulate how I wrote them. Now I don't make scripts. ?

Edited by Runnwith
Upside down smiley
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Chris said:

Learn Java, Git(Only if you want scripts on the SDN), & how to read Java Documentation.

Until then don't event attempt writing scripts because it will just be crafted poorly. I recommend Derek banas, or Head First Java book for Java tutorials. 

How modest. Not gonna plug yourself?

@corey1996 Watch his tutorials! Followed lesson 0 and lesson 1, then started scripting my own stuff. I had literally no coding/scripting experience before that. You'll learn more as you make more scripts. Also, reference his other 2 tutorials while you're making your own projects. But definitely follow along and build the same script alongside Chris in Lesson 1.

Chris's Tutorials

Spoiler

• Heart 1

Learned everything I know 100% from video tutorials & open source projects.

It's definitely possible to learn without any previous experience, (I had NONE when I started.) I never understood why people say you NEED previous experience.

Now obviously, in the beginning if you're just learning from videos/open source scripts your code will not be the best to start. However as long as you stick with it - over time you should naturally start to pick up better practices & improve your code. At least this is how it went for me.

Good luck