Would writing scripts be counted as side projects during uni years?

nimby

Hi guys, so I'm currently a student studying computer science and I was wondering if it I could knock 2 birds with 1 stone by combining both my interest while also building a portfolio up.

anyone here has wrote scripts in the past and it has potentially helped them throughout their career/improve their portfolio in any way or sort? Thanks! 

1 hour ago, nimby said:

Hi guys, so I'm currently a student studying computer science and I was wondering if it I could knock 2 birds with 1 stone by combining both my interest while also building a portfolio up.

anyone here has wrote scripts in the past and it has potentially helped them throughout their career/improve their portfolio in any way or sort? Thanks! 

I don't write scripts. But if you presented that to me, I would count it. 

Edit: I would also suggest creating things to make your life easier / streamlined & show that too. You want to present code that is progressive and not just skirting to be identical or nearly identical to one another.

Edited by NeonAsura

10 minutes ago, Juggles said:

I write scripts and it has never helped me in real life. THen again I'm in a complete different field than computer science :boge:

its good practice though for sure and teaches you how to write programs etc

Just out of curiosity, have you written scripts outside of Runescape/games? I've been thinking of trying to use Java for an irl project to make some money.

Highly doubt it unless you were to write stuff from scratch or innovate ideas that could be translated to irl applications(like webwalking).

Generally theres not really much to "innovate" and all youre doing is reinventing bikes,  but i dont think just using api provided tools is sufficient enough tbh. 

And something like writing bots from 0 is out of reach for anyone ^_^ 

1 minute ago, extatus said:

Highly doubt it unless you were to write stuff from scratch or innovate ideas that could be translated to irl applications(like webwalking).

Generally theres not really much to "innovate" and all youre doing is reinventing bikes,  but i dont think just using api provided tools is sufficient enough tbh. 

And something like writing bots from 0 is out of reach for anyone ^_^ 

WTF are you talking about? I run bots on mobile using a framework and scripting language, which is essentially creating a bot from 0...

5 hours ago, nimby said:

No, you should have better side projects than RuneScape scripts. RuneScape scripts are not complex programs, and most employers would probably frown upon cheating.

Employers don't really expect you to have any side projects straight out of uni anyway. As long as you have a good degree, and can write / talk about what projects you worked on as part of your degree, that should be good enough.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Explv said:

No, you should have better side projects than RuneScape scripts. RuneScape scripts are not complex programs, and most employers would probably frown upon cheating.

Employers don't really expect you to have any side projects straight out of uni anyway. As long as you have a good degree, and can write / talk about what projects you worked on as part of your degree, that should be good enough.

Real talk employers dont give 2 shits what your code does, they just care how well it was done. If someones runescape script shows their competency in java, I would definitely include it.
That being said, definitely don't showcase a runescape script if it is not of good quality.

• Like 1
  • Mald 1

Pretty sure something like creating an entirely automated gold farm (with measurable production) using your own command and control server, plus other innovations could very well classify as a side project, but it better be damn nice. You better have things like;

Quality web based GUI
Accurate tracking, logging, and visual display of the data (graphs, charts, comparisons of today vs yesterday vs last week, etc)
Continued scalability without losing functionality/efficiency
etc etc

As others have said, simply showing some script work isn't going to do it. You need to be able to show an entire understanding of how programming works as a whole, and moreover, how you can apply it to make their business/company better/richer. 

Edited by poptartjake
  • Like 1