Question about middlemen.

RoomScape

Middlemen.  

22 members have voted

1. 1. What warrants the use of a middleman?

• Trade value.
    • Person involved.
    • If one is around.
    • Other.
  2. 2. What is the most important aspect of a middleman?

• Speed.
    • Availability.
    • Experience.
    • Overall popularity.

50 minutes ago, Malcolm_OS said:

If someone is trusted I wouldn't bother TBH. 

On the other hand, if the trade was of substantial value I might use a MM anyways.

You should have allowed multiple input on this poll because IMO it has to do with both the people involved and the value of the trade.

I want to see which one is a priority. It's very rare when two options are exactly 50/50.

On top of that, trolls are always around.

4 hours ago, Malcolm_OS said:

If I had to choose between the two. 

Probably who I'm dealing with and if they're trusted. 

If somebody is highly trusted around here then IMO they would have a lot to lose if they scammed someone. Especially if they themselves were involved heavily in the market.

That being said I guess I would weigh who I am trading with above the value of the trade.

For sure. I think it’s important to weigh “what would this person lose if they scammed?”

But i think most people should use a MM if the feedback is low. 

1. What warrants the use of a middleman?
1.1. Trade value
1.2. Parties involved

2. What is the most important aspect of a middleman?
Integrity and credibility

I have never used an MM. Regretfully, there have been instances where I'd wish one had been used.
~2008 scammed for ~€300
~2011 scammed for 3B. RSGP
~2013 scammed for ~€800

Thankfully these are really the only times I've lost any "substantial" amount. The only time other than this would probably be something in-game IIRC I was scammed for a rune set back in 2003, no big deal really.

Common denominators in every recountable scam; haste and naïveté.
Question and research what you are trading, who you are trading with etc. Scrutinize and double-, triple-check the contents of the trade.
Is it imperative to commit to this specific trade/trader? Is it forced(i.e. trade now or no trade)? Who is the buyer/seller; are they reputable? Is it reasonable for your counterpart to risk scamming?
Does it sound too good to be true?

Naturally it's easy to get comfortable and overlook common precautionary measures, especially if you don't consider the trade to be valuable(in proportion to your perception: a 200M OSRS GP trade can be a lot to you or not) or if you consider the person you're trading with to be trustworthy e.g. if you've traded with them before smoothly or they're reputable within a community. 

Receiving before delivering is hands down the best solution for YOU in the trade. Introducing a 3rd party by using a verified middle-man is another great tool for lowering the risk for all parties involved. This can be in the form of a person, or an established organization/business (e.g. PlayerAuctions).

The moment you want to believe in the good in people and let down your guard is the moment they will stab you.
In the end, as grim as it may sound, you cannot trust anyone. This is underlined when money is involved. 
I'm aware this sounds a lot like paranoia and Mean World Syndrome however it is undoubtedly the best precaution to being scammed and what I've learned from my mistakes.

Just my two cents.
Happy and safe trading

• Like 1

16 hours ago, fhhhphgj said:

1. What warrants the use of a middleman?
1.1. Trade value
1.2. Parties involved

2. What is the most important aspect of a middleman?
Integrity and credibility

I have never used an MM. Regretfully, there have been instances where I'd wish one had been used.
~2008 scammed for ~€300
~2011 scammed for 3B. RSGP
~2013 scammed for ~€800

Thankfully these are really the only times I've lost any "substantial" amount. The only time other than this would probably be something in-game IIRC I was scammed for a rune set back in 2003, no big deal really.

Common denominators in every recountable scam; haste and naïveté.
Question and research what you are trading, who you are trading with etc. Scrutinize and double-, triple-check the contents of the trade.
Is it imperative to commit to this specific trade/trader? Is it forced(i.e. trade now or no trade)? Who is the buyer/seller; are they reputable? Is it reasonable for your counterpart to risk scamming?
Does it sound too good to be true?

Naturally it's easy to get comfortable and overlook common precautionary measures, especially if you don't consider the trade to be valuable(in proportion to your perception: a 200M OSRS GP trade can be a lot to you or not) or if you consider the person you're trading with to be trustworthy e.g. if you've traded with them before smoothly or they're reputable within a community. 

Receiving before delivering is hands down the best solution for YOU in the trade. Introducing a 3rd party by using a verified middle-man is another great tool for lowering the risk for all parties involved. This can be in the form of a person, or an established organization/business (e.g. PlayerAuctions).

The moment you want to believe in the good in people and let down your guard is the moment they will stab you.
In the end, as grim as it may sound, you cannot trust anyone. This is underlined when money is involved. 
I'm aware this sounds a lot like paranoia and Mean World Syndrome however it is undoubtedly the best precaution to being scammed and what I've learned from my mistakes.

Just my two cents.
Happy and safe trading

Actually a really good post.  

The only way I see it, only go first if you can risk being scammed. Something similar to what you said. If you can’t risk being scammed then use a mm. Pretty simple. 

If youre oding a 5m trade and don’t care if you get scammed, it’s whatever if you go first. Just you better not cry if you do get scammed since you lose the right to cry whenever you go first in any trade. The only justificable way I see someone being able to cry about being scammed is if they went first to a trusted, reputable member who ended up scamquitting. Just about every other scenario is on the trader to verify and such. 

But regardless of who you’re trading and how long you’ve known them or how trusted they seem, only go first if you can risk being scammed. If this  is your last bit of money and you need it to buy something, you better use a MM or end up selling it to a site. Which a MM can scam, it’s a lot less likely than just going first. If someone is offended that you want to use a mm, let them be offended. It’s really not that worth it to rush into a trade and risk being scammed. 

By the way, you got scammed like $5k? Rip.