The purpose of botting?

S7ewie

This is probably going to seem like a really stupid question to most people but what is the purpose of botting? Whats the goal? (I'm new here)

From what I've been reading, getting banned is pretty much a guarantee. So don't do it on an account you care about.. fair enough. So surely people aren't botting with the intent of actually playing those characters? So the only real reason I can think for doing is it gold farming? (until earlier I still thought there was a trade limit, turned out it was removed 7 years ago haha). But I've also read not to bot from an accounts on the same ip as accounts you care about.. and also don't use a VPN?

So if all that's true then what the point? Not criticising, just genuinely curious. I actually quite enjoy watching the scripts run.. but at the same, if I don't get anything from it then there's no point for me. I still enjoy playing the game from time to time and I don't want to loose that main account. 

14 minutes ago, S7ewie said:

This is probably going to seem like a really stupid question to most people but what is the purpose of botting? Whats the goal? (I'm new here)

From what I've been reading, getting banned is pretty much a guarantee. So don't do it on an account you care about.. fair enough. So surely people aren't botting with the intent of actually playing those characters? So the only real reason I can think for doing is it gold farming? (until earlier I still thought there was a trade limit, turned out it was removed 7 years ago haha). But I've also read not to bot from an accounts on the same ip as accounts you care about.. and also don't use a VPN?

So if all that's true then what the point? Not criticising, just genuinely curious. I actually quite enjoy watching the scripts run.. but at the same, if I don't get anything from it then there's no point for me. I still enjoy playing the game from time to time and I don't want to loose that main account. 

have you ever played a game where you got to cheat a little and it felt fun?

the reason I used to bot is because I enjoyed leveling and unlocking new game content without having to manually grind it out myself. until in 2013 I got banned.

nowadays you'll mostly see it for prepping accounts for higher tier content farming (i.e a zulrah bot, Corporeal beast farm)

or for f2p/p2p goldfarming. idk what it is about botting in runescape but it almost adds a DLC to the game that you can never master and always has a changing difficulty level which adds more depth to the game (script development, dodging botwatch/Jmods) and then also has lucrative real life rewards (selling gold/accounts)

Botting is what you make it. and also @Dbuffed also explained a couple other aspects of what botting's purpose is.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Knuckolls said:

have you ever played a game where you got to cheat a little and it felt fun?

Oh god yeah all the time! But generally that kind of cheating doesn't come with the risk of loosing your save file haha. I'd like to bot my new account a bit to help my OSRS character catch up to where my RS3 character was where I left him back in RS2. But if the likelihood is that it'll get banned and I'll have to start again in the mean time then there isn't much point overall. I also like the idea of gold farming to aid my character but that sounds just as risky if I can loose both accounts if the bot one gets caught :/

3 minutes ago, S7ewie said:

Oh god yeah all the time! But generally that kind of cheating doesn't come with the risk of loosing your save file haha. I'd like to bot my new account a bit to help my OSRS character catch up to where my RS3 character was where I left him back in RS2. But if the likelihood is that it'll get banned and I'll have to start again in the mean time then there isn't much point overall. I also like the idea of gold farming to aid my character but that sounds just as risky if I can loose both accounts if the bot one gets caught :/

just don't bot on the same IP that you play on for your Main.

And if your just looking at currency for your main why don't you just buy some 07 gold from a vendor *wink wink*

Edited by Knuckolls

2 minutes ago, Knuckolls said:

just don't bot on the same IP that you play on for your Main.

And if your just looking at currency for your main why don't you just buy some 07 gold from a vendor *wink wink*

But I've read not to use VPNs? So do you just ensure you force the ip to change every time you play? How does that work if you want to transfer gold from one to the other? (sorry I'm new to a lot of this).

Tbf I have bought a fair bit in the past so I'm not opposed to that. But the idea of doing it myself just felt kind of fun (as you put it) haha. I've bought a few scripts and they've been fun to use but i feel like I should stop now if i actually want to play this character haha.