How does IP affect account recovery

Noob2Bot

Greetings Community,

Long I have wondered how the consistency of IP affects success of account recovery.

Case 1: Playing on always the same IP address, recovering from the same one.

Case 2: Playing on 1. IP, changing on the 2.IP, recovering on the 3. IP.

Would the recovery be the same for both cases or does the IP change lowers the success of recovery?

IP matters but so does the recovery questions.

If you completely mess up the recovery info on the right IP you'll probably fail.

If you get all the right recovery info on an old account on a completely brand new IP, you have a good chance of passing - depends on where the IP is.

But, generally speaking, if the actual owner is just recovering, the info is more of a factor than the IP.

However, if it turns into a recovery battle or Jagex notices multiple people (IPs) on the account, they will give preference to the oldest IP on the account - the IP of the OO. Even if someone else has all the right info, the original owner will be able to recover and Jagex willl block the new person from recovering (eg. continuously be denied when recovering).

On 8/26/2018 at 10:48 PM, RoomScape said:

IP matters but so does the recovery questions.

If you completely mess up the recovery info on the right IP you'll probably fail.

If you get all the right recovery info on an old account on a completely brand new IP, you have a good chance of passing - depends on where the IP is.

But, generally speaking, if the actual owner is just recovering, the info is more of a factor than the IP.

However, if it turns into a recovery battle or Jagex notices multiple people (IPs) on the account, they will give preference to the oldest IP on the account - the IP of the OO. Even if someone else has all the right info, the original owner will be able to recover and Jagex willl block the new person from recovering (eg. continuously be denied when recovering).

I had a main account which I created in 2003, played it for like 9-10 years.
Eventually started to get bored of Rs and shared the account with an ingame friend which later on stole the account.

Recently I found out the account is still active and entirely maxed out..
I still have the first passwords, all my creditcard info and first memberships, first recoveries,..
But all my appeals are denied.
I also moved house so I can't appeal with my creation IP since its gone.

Is there any hope I could recover my main somehow?

2 hours ago, Marsman19 said:

Eventually started to get bored of Rs and shared the account with an ingame friend which later on stole the account.

I still have the first passwords, all my creditcard info and first memberships, first recoveries,..

Probably one of the worst positions you can be in. 

1. Does your friend know any of the recovery info? 
  2. If yes, how old is it compared to the age of the account?
  3. How long has has he been playing on the account? 
  4. How far have you moved from creation IP?
  5. Did you play on the account on your current IP?
  6. Where does your friend live in relation to you?
  7. Did you ever have a linked social media or email account to your RS account?
  8. If so, do you have access to it?

16 hours ago, RoomScape said:

Probably one of the worst positions you can be in. 

No he doesn't know the old recovery questions, he put his own on it.

He has his own since 2012-2013 I guess.
    My old recovery questions date from like 2004-2005.

He has been playing alone for I think 4-5 years. Atleast I guess it's him, maybe he sold the account.
    But it's completely maxed and one of the highest ranks in slayer XP, so it's being played actively.

Not far, couple km/miles

No I haven't.

We used to live in the same country, not sure where exactly.

Yes an email that I also used to pay my membership back in the day.

Yes, already tried using it.

Whenever I tried to recover, it didn't get instantly denied.. it takes like half a day before I get feedback.
Maybe because the account is maxed, it's harder to recover?

Anyway if you had any advice, and I would succeed to recover. I'd be happy to share with you :)

3 hours ago, Marsman19 said:
    No he doesn't know the old recovery questions, he put his own on it.

He has his own since 2012-2013 I guess.
    My old recovery questions date from like 2004-2005.

He has been playing alone for I think 4-5 years. Atleast I guess it's him, maybe he sold the account.
    But it's completely maxed and one of the highest ranks in slayer XP, so it's being played actively.

Not far, couple km/miles

No I haven't.

We used to live in the same country, not sure where exactly.

Yes an email that I also used to pay my membership back in the day.

Yes, already tried using it.

Whenever I tried to recover, it didn't get instantly denied.. it takes like half a day before I get feedback.
Maybe because the account is maxed, it's harder to recover?

Anyway if you had any advice, and I would succeed to recover. I'd be happy to share with you :)

The fact that he’s been playing five years uninterrupted is the issue. You can still try to get it back but may get banned for account sharing. We’re you two playing on the account at the same time in the past or did he get on after?

only advantage you have is the email and the original recovery. His IP is the dominant IP on the account and since you’re not on the original IP and haven’t played on the IP you’re trying to recover from it can be an issue. 

If you haven’t tried to recover recently then try it one more time. If it gets denied you can try to go on Twitter and talk to one of the JMods. If they look into the account and decide it’s acocunt sharing or that you sold the account and just trying to recover they’ll probably ban the account. 

23 minutes ago, RoomScape said:

The fact that he’s been playing five years uninterrupted is the issue. You can still try to get it back but may get banned for account sharing. We’re you two playing on the account at the same time in the past or did he get on after?

only advantage you have is the email and the original recovery. His IP is the dominant IP on the account and since you’re not on the original IP and haven’t played on the IP you’re trying to recover from it can be an issue. 

If you haven’t tried to recover recently then try it one more time. If it gets denied you can try to go on Twitter and talk to one of the JMods. If they look into the account and decide it’s acocunt sharing or that you sold the account and just trying to recover they’ll probably ban the account. 

better to say that  some one just stole your email years ago when you stopped playing rs and prove paymenth info 

27 minutes ago, RoomScape said:

We played the same time in the past.. 
Yes IP is the issue I guess.. I have all the information like first password and recoveries, he has nothing from before 2012.
I'm the OO and he kind of stole the account from me.. I couldn't be bothered at the time.

I'll give it one more try.

Thanks for your information

44 minutes ago, Marsman19 said:

We played the same time in the past.. 
Yes IP is the issue I guess.. I have all the information like first password and recoveries, he has nothing from before 2012.
I'm the OO and he kind of stole the account from me.. I couldn't be bothered at the time.

I'll give it one more try.

Thanks for your information

Since you both played on it at the same time then you can’t claim being hacked. You would definitely know if someone was on your account so now it’s just a matter of account sharing or account selling. Either way even if you do manage to get the account back you may get banned. 

But you can always try. 

50 minutes ago, deseo9 said:

better to say that  some one just stole your email years ago when you stopped playing rs and prove paymenth info 

Yes but they were both playing at the same time. It’s not like he quit and the other guy started playing. 

20 hours ago, RoomScape said:

Since you both played on it at the same time then you can’t claim being hacked. You would definitely know if someone was on your account so now it’s just a matter of account sharing or account selling. Either way even if you do manage to get the account back you may get banned. 

But you can always try. 

Yes but they were both playing at the same time. It’s not like he quit and the other guy started playing. 

My appeal got denied again.. 
Yes I pretty much couldn't be bothered at the time, but I still am the OO of the account.
I don't know if it's worth the hassle through Twitter, do you think I'd have any chance?

3 hours ago, Marsman19 said:

My appeal got denied again.. 
Yes I pretty much couldn't be bothered at the time, but I still am the OO of the account.
I don't know if it's worth the hassle through Twitter, do you think I'd have any chance?

I think if you push it you could prove you’re the OO if they look into it with recoveries but account may get banned. 

On 8/27/2018 at 5:06 PM, Marsman19 said:

Go to the area you created the acc and connect to a Starbucks or McDonald's iP close to your old home. If the IPs are very close in area then it increases your chances. I move houses within 5 miles and could still recover my acc that's I forgot the password to