Learning Resources

Evade

Learnt most from starting a project and looking up everything i came across untill i'd fully understand. Learnt some more from my study computer science. Then learnt from the book "OCA Java SE 7 Programmer 1 study guide" and got the certificate. After that, the SE 8 programmer 1 and SE 8 programmer 2 study guides & certificates. Now from whatever i run into at my job.

I think OSBot is a nice place to start learning as you can set a goal you really want to achieve. "I want to make a script that does X and Y.". Having a goal like that is a nice reason to stay persistent. There is some basic Java knowledge needed though, that could be acquired through basic tutorials, but it could be hard to grasp when jumping into a script skeleton and trying to make things work..

Best way to learn depends on the person, some people learn very well through reading books, others have to really do it in order to remember it. Books often have exercises to make you get used to the concepts though. That's why my advice would be to find a book and set goals for yourself depending on how much time you have etc. Then when you've finished a book, start some kind of project.

If you want to make an OSBot script, then read some tutorials on OSBot too because you'll be working with the OSBot library, so you have to understand what the library does exactly when you call a method. Also get to understand what the Java API is and how you can lookup classes and methods, and get to understand the OSBot API.

Good luck!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ChrisJ said:

Learnt most from starting a project and looking up everything i came across untill i'd fully understand. Learnt some more from my study computer science. Then learnt from the book "OCA Java SE 7 Programmer 1 study guide" and got the certificate. After that, the SE 8 programmer 1 and SE 8 programmer 2 study guides & certificates. Now from whatever i run into at my job.

I think OSBot is a nice place to start learning as you can set a goal you really want to achieve. "I want to make a script that does X and Y.". Having a goal like that is a nice reason to stay persistent. There is some basic Java knowledge needed though, that could be acquired through basic tutorials, but it could be hard to grasp when jumping into a script skeleton and trying to make things work..

Best way to learn depends on the person, some people learn very well through reading books, others have to really do it in order to remember it. Books often have exercises to make you get used to the concepts though. That's why my advice would be to find a book and set goals for yourself depending on how much time you have etc. Then when you've finished a book, start some kind of project.

If you want to make an OSBot script, then read some tutorials on OSBot too because you'll be working with the OSBot library, so you have to understand what the library does exactly when you call a method. Also get to understand what the Java API is and how you can lookup classes and methods, and get to understand the OSBot API.

Good luck!

I like the idea of your take of setting up goals even if they are small. ie, Walk to varrock.

I started with this then went on and watched lesson 1 and 2 too. I followed along and built the same script that Chris did in lesson 1, and then after watching lesson 2, I just started making my own scripts. 

I understood the fundamentals in those tutorials and started to learn more by making more of my own scripts. 

17 minutes ago, Dab in a Lab said:

I started with this then went on and watched lesson 1 and 2 too. I followed along and built the same script that Chris did in lesson 1, and then after watching lesson 2, I just started making my own scripts. 

I understood the fundamentals in those tutorials and started to learn more by making more of my own scripts. 

Didnt even see this will be taking a look after work. Just joined the discord looks very good so far.

Since nobody has mentioned this, I recommend Khan Academy. They provide tutorials and interactive programming examples so you can code in your own browser. I know some professors in universities assign khan academy tutorials and examples in place of reading more traditional books. They are good tutorials and I recommend learning programming fundamentals to aid your scripting.