$500 debt with Digital Ocean

Burundanga

1 hour ago, ez11 said:

If you chargeback jagex after buying bonds with cvash they just ban your account like many other companys do.

So Its not that unlikely to think that they will just ban you from using their service cosndiering the message he gets just says that he will be suspended

Huge difference though. Charging back bonds and not paying for a VPS are two entirely separate thing. That would be like me comparing charging back a membership compared to not paying my mechanic. Jagex isn't "losing" anything like DigitalOcean is. You're buying a MTX, which the company isn't relying on as their primary source of income, and they can get that money out of the game by banning you or tracking it down. With DigitalOcean let's say they can sell 100 VPS. If he used 10 of them, now they're only going to get 90% of their usual money. They're going to try and I'm sure they'll most likely will get their money back. 

3 hours ago, Hi G00gle said:

1. What would happen if you don't pay your rent for your house?

2. You knew when you hired/rented a service from a company you had to pay; What has gotten into your mind to not wanting to pay?

3. I believe this thread is a troll anyway, every person on earth knows he or she is getting fined when you don't pay in time.

Considering he asked if he could just keep doing this, I don't think he thought too much of what would happen...probably better to at least think what will happen before you do something like that. Although, it's best just to pay for any service, I'd rather not tarnish my name and have my employer see that on a background check. I'm sure a lot of companies wouldn't hire someone who has committed fraud and intentionally ordering things with the determination to not pay. Although, you're probably right on the troll part.

19 minutes ago, HawkGuide said:

Huge difference though. Charging back bonds and not paying for a VPS are two entirely separate thing. That would be like me comparing charging back a membership compared to not paying my mechanic. Jagex isn't "losing" anything like DigitalOcean is. You're buying a MTX, which the company isn't relying on as their primary source of income, and they can get that money out of the game by banning you or tracking it down. With DigitalOcean let's say they can sell 100 VPS. If he used 10 of them, now they're only going to get 90% of their usual money. They're going to try and I'm sure they'll most likely will get their money back. 

There isnt a huge difference. 

When someone buys and chargebacks 50 bonds thats 25 months of membership that jagex isnt getting paid for. membership fees is how jagex makes their money.

I highly doubt that him not paying 500$ is going to result in DigitalOcean losing 10% of their VPS. Its going to be a very small number for them just like its for jagex.

7 minutes ago, ez11 said:

When someone buys and chargebacks 50 bonds thats 25 months of membership that jagex isnt getting paid for. membership fees is how jagex makes their money.

I highly doubt that him not paying 500$ is going to result in DigitalOcean losing 10% of their VPS. Its going to be a very small number for them just like its for jagex.

I should've been wise and not have even made this comment, it's pointless to argue and nothing will be solved. Again. There's millions of accounts and unlimited membership. DigitalOcean has a limited number of servers and has a cap on their profit, yes they can expand, but that costs more money to do so. They also can only fit so many servers in that area. They obviously have to pay for internet, the cost of the server, electricity and staff. These are way different. An apartment complex has 10 units....if one of them doesn't pay...then they have nine units profit. Who had to pay the taxes, electricity, cable, water, sewer and trash? They did. They're losing money. Jagex is selling something that's virtual and there's no cap. DigitalOcean relies on renting most of their 100 servers a month(way more than that). If jagex had a max amount of members, I'd agree with you. These are two completely different scenarios. Jagex loses profit(since it's a virtual good it costs them nothing), whereas this company had to pay the internet company for that vps, the electricity for leaving that server on and everything else. They had to SPEND money to upkeep that VPS. Jagex didn't have to spend upkeep on a bond. COMPLETELY different.

So to make things clear, you fucked up. Shit happens and you probably forgot about it, or even worse did it intentional. Don't try to make things worse by trying to prevent them from finding you. Contact them through e-mail or give them a call and explain what happened. Don't try to run from it, they will eventually find you anyways and you don't want to battle things like this out in court. (Or however that goes in US). Just at least make sure you don't fuck up like this again and learn from it. A company like that is probably to not going to condone $500 just because you are whatever years old. If you need any help, send me a PM. I have (accidentally) fucked up some stuff in the past as well when I was young.

Edited by Canidae

2 hours ago, ez11 said:

If you chargeback jagex after buying bonds with cvash they just ban your account like many other companys do.

So Its not that unlikely to think that they will just ban you from using their service cosndiering the message he gets just says that he will be suspended

Yes, but there is a difference between virtual and phyiscal goods. You have to take into account that the electricity has to be paid, hardware (which dies overtime), and they won't let you get away with it. As for the suspending, that is just in place that you will no longer use their service(s), it doesn't say anything about legal action. 

51 minutes ago, ez11 said:

There is. Microtransactions is something very different then real goods. I'm not sure why the 10% has been mentioned, but think of it like this: You use their computer service(s) - Hardware dies off in time, you have to replace that - In a few years time that will for sure exceed the 500$, when using their service, the lifetime of the hardware basically dies off in time - So ofcourse the service will be suspended, the legal actions will be taken care of at a later time.

39 minutes ago, Canidae said:

So to make things clear, you fucked up. Shit happens and you probably forgot about it, or even worse did it intentional. Don't try to make things worse by trying to prevent them from finding you. Contact them through e-mail or give them a call and explain what happened. Don't try to run from it, they will eventually find you anyways and you don't want to battle things like this out in court. (Or however that goes in US). Just at least make sure you don't fuck up like this again and learn from it. A company like that is probably to not going to condone $500 just because you are whatever years old. If you need any help, send me a PM. I have (accidentally) fucked up some stuff in the past as well when I was young.

LISTEN to him

Digital Ocean tried to pull the same thing on me. All I did was kindly email them stating what happened, showed I canceled my agreement on PAYPAL, and that I no longer have been using their service. They tried getting $100 out of me. That’s why I stopped using them, and will never use them again.

8 hours ago, HawkGuide said:

I mean...it is over $500, I'm sure they'll attempt to get their money back. They got your address and information from PayPal when you sent the $5. Don't be surprised if you get anything in the mail or a debt collector starts calling you.

6 hours ago, goonrunner said:

best thing you can do from my experience, instead of having debt collectors etc giving you calls every 10 minutes non stop every day or letters in the mail, you're better off working out a payment plan, i had a debt of $303.20 and they were willing to let me pay it off in monthly increments of about $27

They can't send debt collectors to any country they want.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ProjectPact said:

Digital Ocean tried to pull the same thing on me. All I did was kindly email them stating what happened, showed I canceled my agreement on PAYPAL, and that I no longer have been using their service. They tried getting $100 out of me. That’s why I stopped using them, and will never use them again.

I think it's not even close to having the same issue. He knew it was gonna cost money - How can you expect to hire a service of someone when you are not even gonna pay? That is blatant fraud in my opinion.