Gold sites legal or illegal

TheMcPker

Hey guys does anyone here know if owning/operating  a gold selling website is Legal or not im wanting to make a gold selling website but i do want 100% legal income no dodging taxes or anything like that even tho most adviced me just do it and don't pay taxes

i have seen multiple arguments for both sides what is your guys opinion on it i can't seem to find any lawsuits ect on google

31 minutes ago, Alek said:

I'm not sure you're familiar with how litigation works. I can sue you right now over a ham sandwich in court. 

Im not familiar with how litigation works care to exsplain?

36 minutes ago, RDM said:

as long as you pay taxes, no one cares. Yagex will care and could get sued but that's the only risk

How much do you think they would be able to sue for and win

11 minutes ago, TheMcPker said:

Im not familiar with how litigation works care to exsplain?

How much do you think they would be able to sue for and win

Depends on damages, court fees, lawyer fees. But most importantly, what the court approves - should they win.

And you can get sued for any reason at any time. The only difference is whether or not you'll win the lawsuit. 

4 minutes ago, RoomScape said:

Depends on damages, court fees, lawyer fees. But most importantly, what the court approves - should they win.

And you can get sued for any reason at any time. The only difference is whether or not you'll win the lawsuit. 

so a few 1000$ or a few 10000$ or should i think bigger? (it would mainly be selling gold i gain from botting)

3 minutes ago, TheMcPker said:

so a few 1000$ or a few 10000$ or should i think bigger? (it would mainly be selling gold i gain from botting)

I'm hoping that you're smart enough to have it in a company (LLC may be best) and so Jagex would not be able to pursue you for more than you have - as far as I know. I remember a few times they were threatened to shut down before Jagex filed any lawsuits. Another time Jagex had them shut down because the site had the term 'RS' in it which Jagex claimed copyright.

But legally, I don't see anything wrong with selling gold in an online game. If you breach their (Jagex) specific terms of service, then they have the right to ban you - they have the right to ban you regardless, but yeah. I can't see how you can successfully get sued by Jagex for a monetary amount for selling gold in their games unless it's breaking one of the UK laws (or laws of where your store is operating).

I'm not a lawyer so you should probably go get a lawyer to talk to you about your options and be better informed opposed to taking random advice from a random guy on an online random site.

They're definitely legal, Jagex of course can sue but then again as @Alek said you can literally sue over anything.

For instance, companies like Blizzard will sue as much as they can because they're a multi billion dollar game company so they have the legal team and resources to keep you in court until you can't afford to pay attorney fees and you have to settle.

As far as I know Jagex hasn't sued before and the largest scale takedown was RoW's youtube channel.

13 minutes ago, RoomScape said:

I'm hoping that you're smart enough to have it in a company (LLC may be best) and so Jagex would not be able to pursue you for more than you have - as far as I know. I remember a few times they were threatened to shut down before Jagex filed any lawsuits. Another time Jagex had them shut down because the site had the term 'RS' in it which Jagex claimed copyright.

But legally, I don't see anything wrong with selling gold in an online game. If you breach their (Jagex) specific terms of service, then they have the right to ban you - they have the right to ban you regardless, but yeah. I can't see how you can successfully get sued by Jagex for a monetary amount for selling gold in their games unless it's breaking one of the UK laws (or laws of where your store is operating).

I'm not a lawyer so you should probably go get a lawyer to talk to you about your options and be better informed opposed to taking random advice from a random guy on an online random site.

My plan atm is to make a company yes im currently doing research into the laws ect which is why i made this topic to see if the people in the community that actually deal with gold selling have any usefull information also i asked my dad (who has a decent size company + lawyers) to see what kinda stuff i should be doing Thanks for your reply il look abit into LLC and see what kinda advantages there are to it

9 minutes ago, Wet Rag said:

They're definitely legal, Jagex of course can sue but then again as @Alek said you can literally sue over anything.

For instance, companies like Blizzard will sue as much as they can because they're a multi billion dollar game company so they have the legal team and resources to keep you in court until you can't afford to pay attorney fees and you have to settle.

As far as I know Jagex hasn't sued before and the largest scale takedown was RoW's youtube channel.

Yea i doubt il ever create enough money from the site to be really noticed by them (Compared to the big big sites that are around) íts just a what if kinda thing

11 minutes ago, TheMcPker said:

My plan atm is to make a company yes im currently doing research into the laws ect which is why i made this topic to see if the people in the community that actually deal with gold selling have any usefull information also i asked my dad (who has a decent size company + lawyers) to see what kinda stuff i should be doing Thanks for your reply il look abit into LLC and see what kinda advantages there are to it

Yea i doubt il ever create enough money from the site to be really noticed by them (Compared to the big big sites that are around) íts just a what if kinda thing

Also don't forget the company that runs Jagex are the people who decide to take companies to court, they had a really bad quarter and I doubt they want to spend more money. 

12 minutes ago, Wet Rag said:

Also don't forget the company that runs Jagex are the people who decide to take companies to court, they had a really bad quarter and I doubt they want to spend more money. 

True i doubt they would be wanting to spend money specially for something as a small gold site