Coding speed - lines/hour

andrewboss

Thanks guys for the replies. I now understand that it is totally irrelevant. However, I would like clarification on why in freelancer website and such, people ask for a fast programmer that could type like ~80WPM. Also, as an advice, do I need to plan and write down an algorithm step by step of how the script should work before coding or just normal thinking?

Edited by andrewboss

I try to complete one line of code per hour.

Here's an example cow killer.

getNpcs().getAll().stream().sorted(Comparator.comparingDouble(a -> getMap().distance(a))).filter(npc -> "Cow".equals(npc.getName()) && Stream.of(npc.getActions()).anyMatch("Attack"::equals)).findFirst().ifPresent(npc -> npc.interact("Attack"));

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, andrewboss said:

Thanks guys for the replies. I now understand that it is totally irrelevant. However, I would like clarification on why in freelancer website and such, people ask for a fast programmer that could type like ~80WPM. Also, as an advice, do I need to plan and write down an algorithm step by step of how the script should work before coding or just normal thinking?

Are you sure that it's for programmers and not typists?  When it comes to scripting I can't give advice since i'm a beginner but generally if you properly think through a program and design it before actually implementing it, you end up with higher quality code with less bugs. It's hard to think of the working of the full program when you're writing it line by line.

20 minutes ago, Night said:

Lines/hr is a very poor quantifier of skill. Industry expects as little as 50-500 lines of code a day from professional programmers with CS degrees. That being said, this code is far less likely to need to be debugged than the 200 lines/hr that comes out of a beginner.

Haha, your right. Even if 100-200 is the code I write per hour, then I usually stare for 2 hours to fix bugs :D