Anyone else gotten bored?

liverare

• Nothing’s surprising anymore. Whenever new content is added to the game, it’s polled, sneak previews are dumped religiously, and the content is so well known even before it’s released that the exploration part had already taken place well before the content reaches the players. Moreover, developers are seemingly more interested in pixel quality than substance.

• Developers are making dumb decisions constantly. I’m an old player who joined in 2006; one of the most exciting things to do was go on an adventure. Adventures usually involved completing a quest. You’d complete a quest and unlock something better than anybody else who didn’t complete that quest. Well not anymore. Now, you can just pay for the new meta. Can’t equip a dragon dagger? Just go buy dragon claws. Same shit, different package. That, or the new quests add game-bloat/dead content, because the rewards are so utterly fucking useless.

• There’s more community spirit and serious discussions on a botting forum than the game’s official forum or their subreddit. That’s telling in and of itself.

• Grinds are annoying precisely because it’s unprofitable. When I joined, my brother advised me to get 60 woodcutting so I could start chopping yews. When I did, I found myself making a ton of cash. Bare in mind, the prices for yew logs were roughly 600gp at the time. However, now bots have devalued the logs to the point where it’s arguable not to start botting too. Hell, I’m posting here aren’t I? Fuck.

• The only times I’ve had butterflies and a real rush of excitement from this game is when I completed the quests when the game launched and I was a born-again noob, and I’ve won stakes at the Duel Arena. Which one do you think will prevail in 10 years? Hell, even the new Dragon Slayer 2 quest wasn’t all that exciting; hardly anything got added that’s worth obtaining.

• The developers are too afraid to fuck with the old meta. I’ve said for ages that ice barrage is too overpowered. They could have addressed this by having the visages from fossil island wyverns create a shield that counters it. But no, that would cause controversy. God forbid anyone takes a chance anymore. Overwatch is a perfect example of a game that’s not afraid to fuck with the old meta, and is fun because of it. However, in RS, we have an ever-escalating power-creep.

• I am actually wrong; Jagex are perfectly fine fucking with the old meta if it involves fucking with a quest item. Remember the crystal bow? Hardly anybody does. That shit's so outclassed you're considered a noob for using it. Holy fucking shit, I still remember the days when the legends cape was the meta for capes, until it was shat on by the obby and fire capes. I'm perhaps still a bit bitter that it takes less effort to get a fire cape, but yet it's more rewarding.

• Every glitch, even the benign ones, are patched, which takes away any unintended uniqueness of the game. There are some fun and quirky glitches, like swimming on land and smuggling items out of POH. However, they just had to be patched, even though they didn’t harm the game at all. Activision are notorious for having gone from a game where you had entire jump-clans dedicated to glitching, to games where you can’t walk two feet without headbutting a collision block that touches the fucking skybox; and I hate them for it and makes their newer games feel lacklustre. It's almost like they're trying so hard to be perfect that I can't help but smell the Uncanny Valleyness of it all. I like it when a video game isn't afraid to leave some imperfections as be.

• PVP’s an absolute shambles. I’ve never gotten into it myself, partly out of fear that I won’t measure to the new meta, or to how good others are with their sequence of clicks. I much prefer PVP in other games, like FPS games and even Dark Souls. Those games at least give you a chance if you’re new. I think I could get into OSRS PVP if they reverted everything back to 2006 and left it there.

• The perfect example of how OSRS is and where it’s heading can be found in Fossil Island. What was supposed to be new adventurous content ended up going stale after only a couple of days. Why? Because the Fossil Island doesn’t even measure up to older content. I still get goose bumps when I navigate the plane south of Castle Wars. I feel nothing when I’m on Fossil Island, except for the urge to just leave.

• We don’t have rares that will appreciate, which means there’s nothing to work towards and nothing to hold sacred. Everything considered rare now will lose its value in 10 or 20 years, whereas EOC will have party hats that will literally require you to take a second mortgage out on your house to afford. Imagine the elation someone feels when they finally own an item they’ve always wanted, like a Christmas cracker on EOC? I doubt there’ll ever be a truly rich feeling as that in OSRS, which is sad.

This is perhaps where I finally acknowledge I'm getting too old for this shit.

Perhaps I need to make my own game. Andrew and Paul Gower were in their mid 20's when they built RS. But I don't think making a similar game would win anyone nowadays, because AAA+ companies have raised expectations too high for an individual developer to ever hope to meet. Nonetheless, I'll endeavour to build my own MMORPG...one day.

I just felt like rambling...

Edited by liverare
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, liverare said:
  • This is perhaps where I finally acknowledge I'm getting too old for this shit.

Whilst I do see where you are coming from, the majority of the boredom stems from the fact that the game doesn't really feel magical to us now that most of us are adults.

Being new to the game is incredible, being able to explore and not give a care about anything is really part of the enjoyment - People just care about efficiency now.

3 minutes ago, Pryzm said:

Whilst I do see where you are coming from, the majority of the boredom stems from the fact that the game doesn't really feel magical to us now that most of us are adults.

Being new to the game is incredible, being able to explore and not give a care about anything is really part of the enjoyment - People just care about efficiency now.

True.

I'd love to get into the PVP aspect of RS, but the game keeps coming up with new and expensive meta, and the PVP comes down to how fast you can execute a sequence of clicks. That's not fun. I prefer FPS games and Dark Souls style PVP to that of RS.

I think I could learn to play and love RS PVP if only they'd revert everything back to 2006 days, where the meta was understood (even by people who didn't PK).

Edited by liverare

Just now, liverare said:

True.

I'd love to get into the PVP aspect of RS, but the game keeps coming up with new and expensive meta, and the PVP comes down to how fast you can execute a sequence of clicks. That's not fun. I prefer FPS games and Dark Souls style PVP to that of RS.

I think I could learn to play and love RS PVP if only they'd revert everything back to 2006 days, where the meta was understood (even by people who didn't PK).

tbh it's pretty easy to pvp. You have odds killing anyone with jamal and low tier/cheap weapons. As long as you understand the pk mechanics it's pretty ez

15 hours ago, liverare said:
  • Nothing’s surprising anymore. Whenever new content is added to the game, it’s polled, sneak previews are dumped religiously, and the content is so well known even before it’s released that the exploration part had already taken place well before the content reaches the players. Moreover, developers are seemingly more interested in pixel quality than substance.

• Developers are making dumb decisions constantly. I’m an old player who joined in 2006; one of the most exciting things to do was go on an adventure. Adventures usually involved completing a quest. You’d complete a quest and unlock something better than anybody else who didn’t complete that quest. Well not anymore. Now, you can just pay for the new meta. Can’t equip a dragon dagger? Just go buy dragon claws. Same shit, different package. That, or the new quests add game-bloat/dead content, because the rewards are so utterly fucking useless.

• There’s more community spirit and serious discussions on a botting forum than the game’s official forum or their subreddit. That’s telling in and of itself.

• Grinds are annoying precisely because it’s unprofitable. When I joined, my brother advised me to get 60 woodcutting so I could start chopping yews. When I did, I found myself making a ton of cash. Bare in mind, the prices for yew logs were roughly 600gp at the time. However, now bots have devalued the logs to the point where it’s arguable not to start botting too. Hell, I’m posting here aren’t I? Fuck.

• The only times I’ve had butterflies and a real rush of excitement from this game is when I completed the quests when the game launched and I was a born-again noob, and I’ve won stakes at the Duel Arena. Which one do you think will prevail in 10 years? Hell, even the new Dragon Slayer 2 quest wasn’t all that exciting; hardly anything got added that’s worth obtaining.

• The developers are too afraid to fuck with the old meta. I’ve said for ages that ice barrage is too overpowered. They could have addressed this by having the visages from fossil island wyverns create a shield that counters it. But no, that would cause controversy. God forbid anyone takes a chance anymore. Overwatch is a perfect example of a game that’s not afraid to fuck with the old meta, and is fun because of it. However, in RS, we have an ever-escalating power-creep.

• I am actually wrong; Jagex are perfectly fine fucking with the old meta if it involves fucking with a quest item. Remember the crystal bow? Hardly anybody does. That shit's so outclassed you're considered a noob for using it. Holy fucking shit, I still remember the days when the legends cape was the meta for capes, until it was shat on by the obby and fire capes. I'm perhaps still a bit bitter that it takes less effort to get a fire cape, but yet it's more rewarding.

• Every glitch, even the benign ones, are patched, which takes away any unintended uniqueness of the game. There are some fun and quirky glitches, like swimming on land and smuggling items out of POH. However, they just had to be patched, even though they didn’t harm the game at all. Activision are notorious for having gone from a game where you had entire jump-clans dedicated to glitching, to games where you can’t walk two feet without headbutting a collision block that touches the fucking skybox; and I hate them for it and makes their newer games feel lacklustre. It's almost like they're trying so hard to be perfect that I can't help but smell the Uncanny Valleyness of it all. I like it when a video game isn't afraid to leave some imperfections as be.

• PVP’s an absolute shambles. I’ve never gotten into it myself, partly out of fear that I won’t measure to the new meta, or to how good others are with their sequence of clicks. I much prefer PVP in other games, like FPS games and even Dark Souls. Those games at least give you a chance if you’re new. I think I could get into OSRS PVP if they reverted everything back to 2006 and left it there.

• The perfect example of how OSRS is and where it’s heading can be found in Fossil Island. What was supposed to be new adventurous content ended up going stale after only a couple of days. Why? Because the Fossil Island doesn’t even measure up to older content. I still get goose bumps when I navigate the plane south of Castle Wars. I feel nothing when I’m on Fossil Island, except for the urge to just leave.

• We don’t have rares that will appreciate, which means there’s nothing to work towards and nothing to hold sacred. Everything considered rare now will lose its value in 10 or 20 years, whereas EOC will have party hats that will literally require you to take a second mortgage out on your house to afford. Imagine the elation someone feels when they finally own an item they’ve always wanted, like a Christmas cracker on EOC? I doubt there’ll ever be a truly rich feeling as that in OSRS, which is sad.

This is perhaps where I finally acknowledge I'm getting too old for this shit.

Perhaps I need to make my own game. Andrew and Paul Gower were in their mid 20's when they built RS. But I don't think making a similar game would win anyone nowadays, because AAA+ companies have raised expectations too high for an individual developer to ever hope to meet. Nonetheless, I'll endeavour to build my own MMORPG...one day.

I just felt like rambling...

Just quit, I did the same a year ago.

Focus on making money and retire at age 30.

• Mald 1