My thoughts on the release of mobile and the potential it has for botting

thefluffyneko

With the release of osrs on mobile drawing closer by the day, i've read a few threads stating that mobile probably wont have much of a effect on botting. But in my opinion that couldn't be further from the truth. Even if creating bots for use on mobile devices is impracticable.. That doesn't mean we cant use the release of mobile as a gateway to multiple new botting methods. For starters efficiency will skyrocket do to the simple fact that theirs no dragging a mouse around to complete tasks. Mobile bots can just instantly tap the next action because any legit player on mobile will be doing the same, the average playtime of a legit player will also go up seeing as they'll have the game at their fingertips anywhere they want. Another, most important thing to think about in my opinion is jagex will have no data on mobile botting and it may take them months if not years to have a properly functioning "anticheat" that will be able to accurately flag botting behavior on mobile. I'm no expert on the subject but as far as  I can tell it would be relatively easy to make a client that appears to be on mobile for use on the pc. And getting away from botting.. The release of mobile will also most likely come with a treasure trove of bugs and glitches that can be exploited.. These are just a few of my thoughts.. What about you guys?

• Like 1

I personally don't think tapping on the phone to remove mouse drag would be a big thing. People can do that on touch screen laptops right now. I use a surface pro 4 and the tapping on the screen works in the same way as a phone. 

Jagex might take tapping on the screen into more consideration since there will be a lot more mobile users compared to touch screen laptop users, but I personally don't think it would cause to big of an impact.

2 minutes ago, Lemons said:

Bots don't have to move the mouse, you can just send a mouse click instantly to any point of the screen. The mouse only moves to comfort the end users. Certain bots don't even have a mouse to click with :p The fact its on mobile doesn't change much.

6 minutes ago, Dab in a Lab said:

I personally don't think tapping on the phone to remove mouse drag would be a big thing. People can do that on touch screen laptops right now. I use a surface pro 4 and the tapping on the screen works in the same way as a phone. 

Jagex might take tapping on the screen into more consideration since there will be a lot more mobile users compared to touch screen laptop users, but I personally don't think it would cause to big of an impact.

I was under the impression that mouse movement had something to do with the flagging system they have implemented, my thoughts on this was more for people trying to fly under the radar as appose to suicide botters

3 hours ago, thefluffyneko said:

Another, most important thing to think about in my opinion is jagex will have no data on mobile botting and it may take them months if not years to have a properly functioning "anticheat" that will be able to accurately flag botting behavior on mobile.

You are not right here because, in a popular game like this, I think the moderators have been planning and testing things out for months before release. Otherwise, they won't be making it online now. There might be a few problems in first, but not as you think. I also think that botting on mobile will still be difficult. However, who knows?

16 hours ago, inababila said:

You are not right here because, in a popular game like this, I think the moderators have been planning and testing things out for months before release. Otherwise, they won't be making it online now. There might be a few problems in first, but not as you think. I also think that botting on mobile will still be difficult. However, who knows?

So jagex hired people to code a bot for the mobile client so that they could gather data before release? Thats what i'm getting from this and that seems very unlikely. Also, i'm not talking about botting on mobile, i'm talking about spoofing the mobile client on the computer because of the non existent "anticheat" that flags suspicious behavior for mobile, aswell as being able to bot for longer without raising any flags once they do have a functioning flagging system.

Just now, inababila said:

What are you even saying here? There is something called beta test... Please explain because right now it makes no sense

We're talking about botting, and the only way jagex could gather data about botting on mobile is to monitor mobile bots. So if they "test" before release.. They would have to have a working bot on mobile to gather data from.. But even if they did.. A bot jagex would make would be much different then something a 3rd party coder such as the coders on osbot would do. So it just seems highly impractical for them to have gathered data on mobile botting before the release