Right, so I had an IRL GP idea...

Timo19

So, some of you may of saw my post yesterday asking about the best laptop I could buy for my price budget however still being indecisive I woke up today and decided to check out the HP OMEN on the website then immediately realised I was on the American site however the American site with the same spec laptop was A LOT cheaper than it would be to buy in the UK. (I presume this is because most of their production comes from there?) 

So here are the specs and the price difference:

• Windows 10 Home 64
  • Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ (2.8 GHz, up to 3.8 GHz, 6 MB cache, 4 cores) + NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 (4 GB GDDR5 dedicated)
  • 8 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM (1 x 8 GB)
  • 15.6" diagonal FHD 120 Hz IPS anti-glare WLED-backlit (1920 x 1080)
  • 1 TB 7200 rpm SATA
  • Office Software Trial
  • Security Software Trial
  • 4-cell 70 Wh Lithium-ion polymer Battery
  • No DVD or CD Drive
  • Full-size island-style backlit keyboard with numeric keypad
  • HP Wide Vision HD Camera with dual array digital microphone
  • 802.11b/g/n/ac (2x2) Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth® 4.2 combo

So for this price I thought wow, only $919.99 (£667.38) or if you was to buy the same spec from the UK website you're going to be paying £1,095.99 ($1510.84) so for this spec laptop in the UK is good but then I hit a brick wall, thats only nationwide shipping. So then I searched if there was anyway around this and it seems that google come through, I found a website called MyUs and basically they have delivery suites in the US where you get your items sent too and yes, it is possible a monthly fee is to be paid but if you're going to be doing this 2/3 times a month then with products like the HP OMEN then whats $30 out of a margin of over £300? However.. I forgot about shipping costs. Cheapest price you can get is around $22 on a laptop which will take 7-14 days to arrive to your UK address or you can bite the bullet and pay $50 and it should be with you in 2-4 days. So at this point I thought wow, this can really work but then I thought about the charger adaptor with UK being different to the US and you can buy a official HP OMEN UK charger for £35. 

So lets break it down:

£667.38 (Laptop) + £21.76 (MyUps) + £36.27 (UK Shipping) +£35 (UK Charger)                Total cost: £760

Given the potential resell value of up to £1095.99 the profit margin is up too: £428.61

So am I missing anything or is this a viable method of a second form of income? obviously probably wouldn't start with a laptop of that calibre I only used that as an example to show that money can be made.

NOTE: MYUS SAY STATE TAX COST IS EXEMPT FROM US PURCHASES (APPARENTLY)

22 minutes ago, Timo19 said:

So, some of you may of saw my post yesterday asking about the best laptop I could buy for my price budget however still being indecisive I woke up today and decided to check out the HP OMEN on the website then immediately realised I was on the American site however the American site with the same spec laptop was A LOT cheaper than it would be to buy in the UK. (I presume this is because most of their production comes from there?) 

So here are the specs and the price difference:

• Windows 10 Home 64
  • Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ (2.8 GHz, up to 3.8 GHz, 6 MB cache, 4 cores) + NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 (4 GB GDDR5 dedicated)
  • 8 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM (1 x 8 GB)
  • 15.6" diagonal FHD 120 Hz IPS anti-glare WLED-backlit (1920 x 1080)
  • 1 TB 7200 rpm SATA
  • Office Software Trial
  • Security Software Trial
  • 4-cell 70 Wh Lithium-ion polymer Battery
  • No DVD or CD Drive
  • Full-size island-style backlit keyboard with numeric keypad
  • HP Wide Vision HD Camera with dual array digital microphone
  • 802.11b/g/n/ac (2x2) Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth® 4.2 combo

So for this price I thought wow, only $919.99 (£667.38) or if you was to buy the same spec from the UK website you're going to be paying £1,095.99 ($1510.84) so for this spec laptop in the UK is good but then I hit a brick wall, thats only nationwide shipping. So then I searched if there was anyway around this and it seems that google come through, I found a website called MyUs and basically they have delivery suites in the US where you get your items sent too and yes, it is possible a monthly fee is to be paid but if you're going to be doing this 2/3 times a month then with products like the HP OMEN then whats $30 out of a margin of over £300? However.. I forgot about shipping costs. Cheapest price you can get is around $22 on a laptop which will take 7-14 days to arrive to your UK address or you can bite the bullet and pay $50 and it should be with you in 2-4 days. So at this point I thought wow, this can really work but then I thought about the charger adaptor with UK being different to the US and you can buy a official HP OMEN UK charger for £35. 

So lets break it down:

£667.38 (Laptop) + £21.76 (MyUps) + £36.27 (UK Shipping) +£35 (UK Charger)                Total cost: £760

Given the potential resell value of up to £1095.99 the profit margin is up too: £428.61

So am I missing anything or is this a viable method of a second form of income? obviously probably wouldn't start with a laptop of that calibre I only used that as an example to show that money can be made.

NOTE: MYUS SAY STATE TAX COST IS EXEMPT FROM US PURCHASES (APPARENTLY)

Double check it :P  + why would you share this to us? Some might abuse this for their own greed.

4 minutes ago, riseofrage said:

Double check it :P  + why would you share this to us? Some might abuse this for their own greed.

I'm sure thousands do it globally mate. I'm not going to become the only guy in the world to sell a laptop, if you get what i mean? (dont mean to sound sarcastic) 

7 minutes ago, Butters said:

Interesting. Is it only due to tax is exempt?

Might also want to read about drop shipping.

I'm not sure mate, I believe UK have import tax but thats covered in the delivery cost. and it makes sense the laptop only weighed 3.2kg (with packaging) 

Edited by Timo19

1 hour ago, Timo19 said:

trial and error, although i DO believe that you arent the first bloke with this idea, hence your calculations might be faulty & expectations unrealistic

all you do is making a dime cause you are not paying taxes like legitimate resellers, personally, id suggest going with faster moving goods that cost less

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, gearing said:

trial and error, although i DO believe that you arent the first bloke with this idea, hence your calculations might be faulty & expectations unrealistic

all you do is making a dime cause you are not paying taxes like legitimate resellers, personally, id suggest going with faster moving goods that cost less

Thanks for feedback :)

I'm going to buy one on friday (for personal use) and i'll update you with the experience.

• Like 1