My Scripting Journey

Toxic

My Scripting Journey

[ A Little About Me ]

Hello, I have been part of the botting community since 2010 or so but I have always been that never post, just register and use the bots person. I am currently in college for Computer Networking and in my second semester out of 6. I have finished Police Foundations in college and currently work part time with school. My days are pretty packed between school, work and my fiance so this journey might take me some time as I believe I am starting from scratch (been learning Javascript in school but I have been told its totally different then Java). I am 23 and hopefully looking forward to be able to find a successful career job once I finish this course (connected to my Police Foundation course).

[ Goals & Achievements ]

I basically want to start off by learning Java from scratch (Codeacademy, books, Java tutorials) and the end goal is be able to have my own full farm running on its own by my own scripts and by my own hands. I will start off small and try to make a couple simple and non complex scripts (woodcutting, firemaking) and go from there. I have no doubt there will be failures, disappointments and just being plain unlucky throughout this but I do have an end goal that I plan on reaching.

If anyone has any other tutorials, lessons that would help me for Scripting that would be great, I do plan on doing research on a term I have seen on other topics called CLI?

[ Updates ]

I will be updating this WEEKLY so expect an update on the weekends sometime if you care at all :D

If you stick around I hope you enjoy this journey and maybe even join me on it!

Week 1

Spoiler

UPDATE -  2018-02-24

I have been trying to use all my spare hours between class, work & fiance too get in as much information I can from all my resources to learn Java. I have been using multiple things to teach me Java as quick and efficiently as possible.

What I have been using:

1. Code Academy - I have been looking over many threads and many scriptwriters recommended Code Academy, so I went ahead and started doing that and I am currently 50% done (Object Oriented Java) and will be resuming it starting Monday as I need a break from my week.
  2. SoloLearn - I downloaded this app on my phone and its almost exactly the same as Code Academy but phone friendly and it seems more informative then Code Academy. I have been learning lots but there is way more on this app too learn and it goes much slower. I am currently at 4/8 on the Basic Concepts and there's 6 more categories with 8 sections in each so I have a long way too go in this app.
  3. OSBOT Guide #1 - I have been reading over @Apaec "A Beginners Guide to Writing OSBOT Scripts" and it has helped me a lot, I have yet to make a script a full script that works but I am very close too, just want to be able to program the bot to bank within @Apaec script example.
  4. OSBOT Guide #2 - I have also been reading over @Explv "Explv's Scripting 101" which seems a bit more advanced and more information so I suggest you read @Apaec guide first before moving to this but it has helped me a lot as well and takes you to the next stage in a way about learning the API for OSBOT.
  5. OSBOT Open Source Script - I have been mainly looking at @kadiem "F2PChopper" but I am just trying to make it chop the tree rather then bank or anything more the just swinging an axe and dropping.

I have been trying to code a script that just takes the Jug inside of lumbridge castle, in the kitchen off the table and drops it and repeats. I have been having a slow start trying to figure this out and feel horrible because I feel like I should be able to somewhat do this but I am determined to get this obstacle out of my way and start up on the tree cutter.

Here is my code:

Spoiler

import org.osbot.rs07.api.model.Entity;
import org.osbot.rs07.script.Script;
import org.osbot.rs07.script.ScriptManifest;
import org.osbot.rs07.api.model.RS2Object; 

import java.awt.*;

@ScriptManifest(author = "Toxic", info = "My first script", name = "Lumbridge Jug Stealer", version = 0, logo = "")
public class Main extends Script {

@Override
    public void onStart() {
        log("Welcome to Toxic's Jug Stealer.");
        log("This is my first sript ever, hope you enjoy!");
    }

private enum State {
        STEAL, DROP, WAIT
    };

private State getState() {
        RS2Object table = getObjects().closest("Jug");
        if (!inventory.isEmpty())
            return State.DROP;
    if (table != null)
            return State.STEAL;
        return State.WAIT;
    }

@Override
    public int onLoop() throws InterruptedException {
        switch (getState()) {
        case STEAL:
            RS2Object table = getObjects().closest("Jug");

if (table != null) {
                    table.interact("Take");
            }
            break;
        case DROP:
                inventory.dropAll();
                break;
        case WAIT:
                sleep(random(500, 700));
                break;
        }
        return random(200, 300);
    }

@Override
    public void onExit() {
        log("Thanks for running my Jug Stealer!");
    }

@Override
    public void onPaint(Graphics2D g) {
        g.drawString("Hello Jugs!", 50, 50);
    }

}

This has been a bit of a slow start and I am kind of disappointed in myself and how hard I am struggling but I do not plan on giving up and will keep going head strong into this. If anyone has any advice...it would help me so much! Thanks for reading and see you all next weekend :D 

P.S. I will check this topic everday for any advice or replies!

Edited by Toxic
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Dard said:

How can you bot with a police background, where are your morals?

I have morals, but this is more of how you view the situation rather then judging upon it right away.

For example - Weed

It still is against the law within my country & city but when coming upon someone that is smoking it, most of the time it is left with a warning or not even that rather then being totally against it and looking down upon it. I am not saying this is right, I am saying that in my eyes this is more of a hobby for me which I do not feel I am breaking the law, rather taking advantage of a situation.

33 minutes ago, Stimpack said:

gl

https://osbot.org/forum/topic/115124-explvs-scripting-101/ , after you learn a little bit of java

Thank you, taking a look at it right now. Will bookmark this!