Computer part usage/lifetime

HoneyDewBubbleT

Hey y'all,

I have a rig from 2014 that has served me well and is still functioning. Just want to hear community's feedback/opinion on when you guys upgrade parts vs. get a new computer.

Atm, I have i5-4590 3.3GHz, 16gb ram, and gtx 970. I play csgo, league, and bot 2-4 accounts (not at the same time) do to cpu limitation. When would you guys upgrade parts or get a new computer? 

How many years of usage would you call it good and move on? 

28 minutes ago, HoneyDewBubbleT said:

Hey y'all,

I have a rig from 2014 that has served me well and is still functioning. Just want to hear community's feedback/opinion on when you guys upgrade parts vs. get a new computer.

Atm, I have i5-4590 3.3GHz, 16gb ram, and gtx 970. I play csgo, league, and bot 2-4 accounts (not at the same time) do to cpu limitation. When would you guys upgrade parts or get a new computer? 

How many years of usage would you call it good and move on? 

970 is still good, 16gb ram is good (DDR3)

I had the same processor as you, and i upgraded to a Ryzen 1600 and saw major improvement

• Like 2

Hell if anything if you feel the need to upgrade, I would just move to an I7-7700k, new mobo, and 16gb DDR4. You'd be set with your 970 until the GPU prices fall (if they ever do). The 7700k will be a big leap in performance and it's been getting cheaper. It'd fit your needs and then some! I had an Alienware 15 with the 7700hq and a 970 and it's still very relevant, I just handed it down to my cousin for playing PUBG.

31 minutes ago, irmagical189 said:

Hell if anything if you feel the need to upgrade, I would just move to an I7-7700k, new mobo, and 16gb DDR4. You'd be set with your 970 until the GPU prices fall (if they ever do). The 7700k will be a big leap in performance and it's been getting cheaper. It'd fit your needs and then some! I had an Alienware 15 with the 7700hq and a 970 and it's still very relevant, I just handed it down to my cousin for playing PUBG.

^ this

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Muffins said:

970 is still good, 16gb ram is good (DDR3)

I had the same processor as you, and i upgraded to a Ryzen 1600 and saw major improvement

31 minutes ago, irmagical189 said:

I think i'd follow your guys' input and only upgrade my processor. Another question, how do you guys deal with dust accumulation? I've been cleaning my case out once a year but the filter for the case fan looks atrocious. I couldn't find any filter replacements online. Should I just get a new case? 

Clean it more frequently than once a year. You probably won't find any filter replacements unless you contact the case manufacturer. Not sure what your level of technical knowledge/skills is but if you are going for a new case and CPU, maybe take a look at barebone kits or combo sales at Tigerdirect or Newegg. Might save ya money going that route and less homework on part compatibility. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, irmagical189 said:

Clean it more frequently than once a year. You probably won't find any filter replacements unless you contact the case manufacturer. Not sure what your level of technical knowledge/skills is but if you are going for a new case and CPU, maybe take a look at barebone kits or combo sales at Tigerdirect or Newegg. Might save ya money going that route and less homework on part compatibility. 

to go along with this, if you wanna "ball on a budget" , check out https://www.reddit.com/r/hardwareswap/

I've bought/sold over $3k worth of stuff there. Probably the best place to find DDR4 RAM currently.