Gaming Laptop or Sony A7RII Camera

CptRS

Hey y'all,

I need help deciding which one to get... I know first world problems. I have about $1000 bucks to spend immediately so here are the two scenarios:

1. I can buy a decent gaming laptop (please suggest any recommendations if you have any. I'm thinking of MSI, Asus, or a Razer) used from a C2C platform like Craigslist or eBay. I've seen nearly brand new Razer laptops go for as cheap as $650-$700. But the downfall is, I won't be able to access Mac editing software like Final Cut Pro (at least I think?). 

2. I can buy the Sony A7RII after saving a bit more and pursue a new hobby. I know it's an absurd camera for a newbie photographer, but I'm planning on investing in a full-frame set as I get better. Plus, I plan on traveling to various parts of the world soon. I wanted to use a camera to capture memories but also to create videos on YouTube. I could get both. I could get the camera first and then save up for a used gaming laptop but that would take quite a bit of time. 

@Benz lol true. I dunno. I've always wanted to get into photography, but it's an expensive hobby/career. I guess I would want to make more videos than photos. 

@dailysmoker I don't really care for brand new laptops, but if it's affordable I wouldn't mind getting it brand new. Do you have any suggestions for gaming laptops? Hopefully something that's more photography friendly since I'll probably end up buying both in the long run. Is 8GB ram enough? I have no idea how much 8GB equates to in terms of processing power. 

57 minutes ago, CptRS said:

@Benz lol true. I dunno. I've always wanted to get into photography, but it's an expensive hobby/career. I guess I would want to make more videos than photos. 

@dailysmoker I don't really care for brand new laptops, but if it's affordable I wouldn't mind getting it brand new. Do you have any suggestions for gaming laptops? Hopefully something that's more photography friendly since I'll probably end up buying both in the long run. Is 8GB ram enough? I have no idea how much 8GB equates to in terms of processing power. 

8GB is a decent amount of RAM to work with. I don't have really tips for gamging laptops, since I don't really believe in them. You pay alot for the design too, and there are much other laptops that are nearly as good for way less money. I suggest you go look at laptops with 8GB, i5 and a decent graphics card that will do the job for you I think.

And what you mean by photography friendly? You want to do high-level photo-shopping on it? Or just watch your photos in a gallery or something?

Greetings

You'll be looking at laptops with following specifications than imo:

8GB Ram

intel i5 or i7 processor

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050+ Graphics card

Laptops like this will be in the price range of €900-€1100 NEW I think. Personally i'm not a supporter of buying used laptops, since there could be a lot of things wrong with it that you don't see when buying it.

Greetings

11 hours ago, CptRS said:

On second thought, I also found a deal for this: https://www.amazon.com/Compact-Desktop-G20CB-DB71-GeForce-Processor/dp/B01K1JU56S

6 months old, comes with ASUS monitor, razer membrane keyboard, razer firepad, razer headset, and razer gaming mouse. All for about $1000. HELP ME FOLKS

Both very nice computers. I'd say choose for yourself. Do you travel alot with your computer? take the laptop. You just want to game/photoshop at home choose the desktop forsure.

Greetings