Discussion: Rating of "Seriousness"

HoneyDewBubbleT

Hey y'all I just got out of my criminology class and had a very interesting discussion on rating scenarios 1-10 on the "seriousness" of a crime.

Everyone had a general consensus of giving a 10 for scenarios involving murder or effect on a large scale (e.g. corporate scandals leading to 1k+ employees being fired due to bankruptcy, mass producing farmers using illegal substances/practices which caused numerous amount of deaths/illnesses). However, there was a particular rape scenario involving a woman and a man that got the majority of the class to rate it as a 10 and I would like to hear y'all's thoughts and opinions on this topic.

Scenario in question:

A man took a woman for a dinner, then to a house party where they both drank. Throughout the day, the woman constantly flirted with the man. The man had his hopes hope for the night. However, the woman became extremely intoxicated and wanted to leave the party and requested the man to take her home. The man did so and invited himself saying that he'd help her up the stairs. When upstairs, the man forced himself onto her. The woman, who was too shocked, couldn't say anything nor was she strong enough to push him off.

From the context above, from 1-10 rate the scenario on the "seriousness" of a crime.

My thoughts: 

Compared to other scenarios, such as murder and the other things mentioned above, I didn't rate this scenario a 10 because relatively I did not see rape and murder/actions that affect 1k+ lives on the same level (I rated it as a 7). Also, from the first half of the scenario, the woman seemed to be "inviting" the man for something to occur. However, the scenario takes a 180 degree turn in the second half when it introduces the key words when the man "forced" himself onto her and the woman was "too shocked" and wasn't "strong enough" to push him off. At this point, I had mixed feelings as I didn't want to be the guy that blames the woman for the rape because her "clothes were too revealing" and she was basically asking for it. However, in this scenario, that had consensual date and both seemed interested other with the key words "the woman constantly flirted with the man" and "the man had his hopes for the night."

I got glared at and shunned by a class with a ratio of 20 females to 5 males with many of them stating rape is rape. Auto rating of 10.   

My thoughts might've been also affected by my personal experience as being a victim of rape. I as well was "too shocked" to do anything nor was I strong enough to push her off (I was in elementary and the girls were probably high school if not college). Coming from my point where my rape was out of nowhere surprise, I didn't think the rape in this scenario was 10 on the scale.

What are you your guys' thoughts?

• Like 2

Group A would proclaim that due to the woman drinking and getting herself drunk, prior to the aggravated sexual act occurring it would indicate that she is in the wrong and it is her own fault that she was unable to defend herself. They would also state that she had other options; calling a cab, calling a friend etc.

Group B would proclaim that even though the woman got herself drunk, the other person who was with her should take responsibility for his/her own actions. Granted he took her home, but in no way, shape or form is inviting yourself into someone else's home who doesn't really give approval, and then proceeding to sexually assault her (which by the sounds of the scenario was non-consensual) is a wrong act and an illegal act.

IMHO, it's irrelevant on whether she was drunk or not, or she requested that you take her home. That is NO indication that she wants to engage in sexual activity, nor anything alike. The man had a responsibility, to look after himself but to also look after the woman who he was with, you know... like any other NORMAL courteous human being would do.

8-9/10 because it's an immoral act regardless

Edited by Darren

I disagree* with the 7. IMO it's a 4-6~

As fucked as it sounds, there's different levels of rape. 

Yes, let that sink it. Even thought its extremely cruel, this is the sad case. 

1-3

She doesnt wish to see him again and it was a VERY UNCOMFORTABLE feeling. No one is harmed, just a bad night out that can warrant an arrest. EDIT: ( I CAN SEE THIS STATEMENT IN THE FUTURE BEING VERY CONTROVERSIAL, I DO NOT WISH TO COME OFF THAT WAY) 

4-6

One is intoxicated and has no clear mental state. Drugged and is being taken advantage of while the other clearly knows what he/she is doing. 

This most definitely warrants a felony. Complete shitbag deserves to die (arguable) All the below can take the same punishment

7-8

Signs of strangulation/abuse/tear marks. Vicious,hostile, clear maligant and malicious intent. This is the kind of shit where when you're incarcerated and someone figures out or hears what you did, you will get gang banged in prison/ inmates will abuse you.

^ "oh thats not true". Yes it is. I've volunteered over 100+ hours at my sheriffs dept and have spoken to many CO's. This is true and cannot be argued against.

9-10.

Weapons/screwdrivers/knifes Permanent disfiguration, gang rape (Stares at 3rd world fucked countries, india,middle east, south america, some parts of north america etc)

Homicide. 

You get the point. 

I would incorporate pictures into this, but i'd rather not as it can EASILY warrant a ban + is not good for general public.

Edited by Rxd

For me personally, if you've been flirting look revealing etc, it's kind of expected. Because she didn't actually try to stop him or say anything it also gives the hint that in actual fact she was giving concession.. even though it says that he forced himself on her, giving that she had no reaction it somewhat indicates she was ok with it (on the basis of her flirting all day partying with him and they were both drunk- I assume. 

I would rate it a 6-7 personally. on the basis that it was in fact rape. 

The only 10 on my list would be anything involving children. 

1 hour ago, HoneyDewBubbleT said:

What are you your guys' thoughts?

11/10

tl;dr - execute them both

p.s.: do you pay for this? i mean do you actually chunk out money in order to attend classes that give you such insight?:think:

Edited by gearing
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, axldeth said:

son u have lots of free time

I have breaks in between. Unfortunately, my classes this quarter are spread all over the place :/ I wish though. It's hard juggling being full time university student and a full time botter *sigh*.

27 minutes ago, gearing said:

11/10

tl;dr - execute them both

p.s.: do you pay for this? i mean do you actually chunk out money in order to attend classes that give you such insight?:think:

Personally, no I do not pay them chunk of money but they do pay me well for attending their University :)  The class has no relevance to my major but I'm taking it for "general credit" requirements. But the class is pretty popular and the lectures given by the professor is pretty interesting but the insight that I gain from the "intellectual debates" in small groups depends on my fellow peers.

God, this question sucks. I think it's like a 3 or 4 out of 10, just because it's extremely subjective and 10 would be fucking Jonestown or the holocaust or John Wayne Gacy/Ed Gein, etc.
But if I say that now I look like a rape apologist lol. 

Or are we rating it compared to other scenarios of rape? In that case, like a 4-5 -- 10 would be something like a mass gang rape with extreme brutality, etc. 

10 minutes ago, Jacksonpm23 said:

God, this question sucks. I think it's like a 3 or 4 out of 10, just because it's extremely subjective and 10 would be fucking Jonestown or the holocaust or John Wayne Gacy/Ed Gein, etc.
But if I say that now I look like a rape apologist lol. 

Or are we rating it compared to other scenarios of rape? In that case, like a 4-5 -- 10 would be something like a mass gang rape with extreme brutality, etc. 

Personally, I was rating the scenario relative to other scenarios but even if I weren't I don't think I would've given it a ten...

25 minutes ago, HoneyDewBubbleT said:

Personally, no I do not pay them chunk of money but they do pay me well for attending their University :)  The class has no relevance to my major but I'm taking it for "general credit" requirements. But the class is pretty popular and the lectures given by the professor is pretty interesting but the insight that I gain from the "intellectual debates" in small groups depends on my fellow peers.

this is pretty much a rage inciting subject, i dont think there should be a debate about this...

i prefer when the ladies force themselves upon me, havent tried the other way around YET ----> i might be a sucker for this kink:troll:

i am proud of you, you are not only getting paid to witness debate about revolting subjects, but you share it with us, the teacher achieved his aim.

the reality though, is never this clear im afraid

ps: tell the teacher i said: fuck off in all seriousness; you cant really compare corporate fraud to rape LMFAO nor put human suffering on a fucking scale

12 minutes ago, gearing said:

this is pretty much a rage inciting subject, i dont think there should be a debate about this...

i prefer when the ladies force themselves upon me, havent tried the other way around YET ----> i might be a sucker for this kink:troll:

i am proud of you, you are not only getting paid to witness debate about revolting subjects, but you share it with us, the teacher achieved his aim.

the reality though, is never this clear im afraid

ps: tell the teacher i said: fuck off in all seriousness; you cant really compare corporate fraud to rape LMFAO nor put human suffering on a fucking scale

I was interested in how others would react to this assignment when they are in their individual spaces unaffected by the drastic polarization present in the classroom. I apologize if I offended you by sharing this with you. You're right, you can't really compare corporate fraud to rape nor put human suffering on a scale. It is a rage inciting topic and I agree, the teacher assistant could've presented this topic better rather than making us put it on a scale. 

5 minutes ago, HoneyDewBubbleT said:

I was interested in how others would react to this assignment when they are in their individual spaces unaffected by the drastic polarization present in the classroom. I apologize if I offended you by sharing this with you. You're right, you can't really compare corporate fraud to rape nor put human suffering on a scale. It is a rage inciting topic and I agree, the teacher assistant could've presented this topic better rather than making us put it on a scale. 

i concur, dont misunderstand me, i LOVE debating, on the other hand this was pure BAIT

so you prefer to be the silent spectator - just watching others - while they are arguing for this n' that with a foaming mouth?:think:

did the TA at least moderate n force you guys to have a feedback part? or it was the end of the lesson and it was still so vivid that you had felt the urge to share?

Edited by gearing

5 minutes ago, Madara said:

Are you like, permanently on TWC? Lol

Watch out! I'm dangerous >:/ 

I tried to appeal it but was rejected. Not enough time has passed to reflect on my mistake :( Honestly, I'm glad and thankful that they unbanned me. Sucks my name is grey like a pleb and not bright cyan blue like others though. No biggie though, just gotta keep being me 

()()
(^^)
(u u)*

5 minutes ago, gearing said:

i concur, dont misunderstand me, i LOVE debating, on the other hand this was pure BAIT

so you prefer to be the silent spectator - just watching others - while they are arguing for this n' that with a foaming mouth?:think:

did the TA at least moderate n force you guys to have a feedback part? or it was the end of the lesson and it was still so vivid that you had felt the urge to share?

I don't get emotional easily or if at all. I was about to play the devil's advocate but decided against it as it's too much of a hassle. However, it was interesting to see the vocal few be so adamant/aggressive about their stance that swept up the room in their tide making a lot of people rewrite their number on the scale whereas I just stared back at them not changing my rating. As mentioned before, I was also interested what others would say if they weren't affected by the vocal few. It did pique my interest enough to share here. I purposely shared it here and not on reddit as reddit threads tend to get extremely polarized quickly. 

I thought the TA did well staying neutral but in retrospect I guess she could've moderated better and limited the few that were dominating the conversation.