Computer Science Masters?

Jbotter

Anybody here have a degree or working on a degree in computer science? If so, what is your focus? What could one expect when going for a CS degree? I'm currently looking into getting a masters in computer science, not entirely decided where I'd concentrate, also might accompany it with a minor in Electrical Engineering. Thanks!

5 hours ago, Jbotter said:

Anybody here have a degree or working on a degree in computer science? If so, what is your focus? What could one expect when going for a CS degree? I'm currently looking into getting a masters in computer science, not entirely decided where I'd concentrate, also might accompany it with a minor in Electrical Engineering. Thanks!

I did a BSc (three year course) in Computer Science in the UK and it pretty much covered:

• Discrete Mathematics (things like Graph Theory, Probability etc.)
  • Object oriented programming
  • Functional programming
  • Data structures
  • Algorithms
  • Computer Architecture
  • Web development
  • Cyber security
  • Computer networking and operating systems
  • Databases
  • Formal language theory
  • Lexers and compilers
  • Artificial Intelligence
  • Robotics
  • Computer Graphics

And the list goes on...

Most Universities will cover the same fundamentals (programming, discrete maths, data structures, algorithms etc.) and then the other stuff you can pick and choose from.

This means you can be as general as you like, or as specific as you like in terms of fields within CS.

You can expect a bunch of coursework, things like mini programming projects (free marks if you spend time on it), and of course exams D:

In the last year of your bachelors / masters you can expect to do some large project as a thesis.

Overall it was very interesting, and 10/10 I would recommend, the career prospects are fantastic, you won't struggle to find a job at all.

Personally I would just do all CS and skip the electrical engineering, just try and get as much juicy CS knowledge as you can, but it's up to you and your interests.

In terms of you not being sure where you would like to concentrate, I don't think anyone is when they start their degree, and to be honest it doesn't really matter. You can think about that much later, your first year or two of university will be mostly fundamentals anyway.

Edited by Explv
  • Like 1

If you have an interest in both Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, I'd really recommend to you Computer Engineering. Computer Engineering has a bit less focus on higher level languages (SQL, Python, Java, etc) with more emphasis on hardware description languages and assembly (VHDL, Verilog, MIPS, ARM, etc). With that said there is a little bit more math requirement, but it's typically an additional math course. You will be exposed to higher level languages like C++, Python, and Java as you will take CS courses as well.

I recently took a graduate VLSI course which is very EE/CE orientated, really cool stuff and it would convince me to switch from CS if it wasnt for the additional courses. The master's is good, but be sure you are keeping up with actual code writing and not only doing what you do in university. University doesn't give you a lot of practical programming experience; many professors don't have any industry experience and they like things which are ridiculous like functional programming. Try and look for professors with industry experience and take those classes, they will help write your letters of recommendation or help get you a job. 

Some things you will do regardless (if you go to a state university):
-Calculus (at least 2 semesters)
-More calculus or differential equations (esp for CE) or linear (useful for cs)
-C/C++ through an operating systems class
-Some digital logic class that teaches you about logic gates, k-maps, flip flops, etc.
-Higher level language like Python or Java or scripting language

If you don't have a bachelor's and you want your master's, many public universities like the ones in California, New York, and Massachusetts often offer combined BS/MS degrees that help you get your Master's a year faster. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jbotter said:

what are you the master of my friend?

Design Innovation - Industrial Design

I'm a big thinker and I like to make stuff with new shit :doge:

Out of all my tertiary experience though, post-grad was the best. At that point the staff kind of have to be invested in your success, they're alot more friendly and quite frankly the barrier between teacher/student drops. Being part of the cohort is a great learning environment, although mine was very studio based given the area.

My advice would be similar to Alek, if you are going to go through with a post-graduate program, find something that:

- Interests you

- Gives you some actual experience working real-world situations

- Do things on the side that might run alongside your research, without detriment of course.

Don't get pigeon holed into something you don't think you want to do, but feel like you should. You're already on the wrong foot and it's easy to tell who's there because they want to be and who isn't. Can read it on my students faces.

Edited by THS
  • Like 1