Google Template

Mister Slyther

I designed & animated a google design/template. I wanted to see how it would be like to use a hamburger menu to promote simplicity and a sleek look.

The theme is to promote peace/calm/tranquility. I thought it's nice to start a search with that theme.

Untitled-10a861.gif

Edited by Mister Slyther
  • Like 2

A hamburger for 4 links is a big no no in my book, especially considering all the space you have at your disposition.

Hidden navigation = takes more time to use, takes more work to learn, makes content less discoverable.

While your stuff usually looks quite ok aesthetically, you tend to over-complicate things which hurts the UX.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Botre said:

A hamburger for 4 links is a big no no in my book, especially considering all the space you have at your disposition.

Hidden navigation = takes more time to use, takes more work to learn, makes content less discoverable.

While your stuff usually looks quite ok aesthetically, you tend to over-complicate things which hurts the UX.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle

Thanks for the link to the wiki, interesting read as I didn't know about the KISS principle which my uni should teach me about soon.

There are advantages and disadvantages of using the hamburger menu though.

The hamburger allows direct access, which means that allows a user to access a “preferred item, instead of forcing users to go through your content in serial order.” -Nielsen Norman Group. This means that users can click directly to the pages they want, instead of having a preset order that they must process before getting to the desired screen.

The big advantages of this are usability and speed. With direct access, users can quickly get to the screens and features they want to access with only a few clicks. In contrast, having sequential access forces users to go through a preset list, which requires them to scroll through irrelevant screens before arriving at their desired destination. On mobile, users have a greater sense of urgency, expecting speed and quick access to functionality even more than on web. Sequential access doesn’t always cut it.

As also, the hamburger menu is a trend now and many users are able to discover it more than before. The Hamburger Icon is  Well-Recognizable.

This information is based on a source, i didn't write it all out.

However, other than all that. I see why you think it isn't suitable just for 4 links specifically, maybe if I had 6-10 links then that would be more reasonable. It can be used in other contexts where there is more information. I have to admit in the case of this template, it isn't necessary. I just did it because I thought it was visually pleasing.

I hope to learn more myself, i'm switching to an interaction design course for my degree.

Edit: According to research, hamburger menus on desktops are highly not recommended and not advised to use. Guess i'll stop thinking about them for desktops then.

Edited by Mister Slyther
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...