Adding JDK to Ubuntu server

Funfight

1 hour ago, Funfight said:

Hey there, I currently have JRE installed on my machine but I need to get JDK instead.  I've figured out how to remove JRE entirely from my machine, but have had troubles installing JDK alone without it coming with JRE.  Any help would be spectacular.

Thanks,

Funfight

Your server doesnt need the JDK, it only needs the JRE. The JDK only comes with the JRE. You only need the JDK if you're writing code in Java, if you're only running bots then JRE is all thats needed. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Funfight said:

I've found that the memory spikes with JRE and not JDK

That doesn't make any sense. "Spikes" can happen for many, many reasons such as GC cycles which can be affected by setting max heap space "aka -mem". It could also be affected by the way a script is written. The JDK comes with the JRE. Java doesn't run on a JDK, it runs on a JRE. 

If you are running Linux, you especially need to know how this works because you need to set up environment variables correctly (Google "linux java home"). In Windows this is very easy:

fa713d12f2d9ec346702a59192fbc263.png

Just to make this 100% clear, Java does NOT run on the JDK. It runs on the JRE which comes with the JDK or as a standalone. 

2 hours ago, Alek said:

That doesn't make any sense. "Spikes" can happen for many, many reasons such as GC cycles which can be affected by setting max heap space "aka -mem". It could also be affected by the way a script is written. The JDK comes with the JRE. Java doesn't run on a JDK, it runs on a JRE. 

If you are running Linux, you especially need to know how this works because you need to set up environment variables correctly (Google "linux java home"). In Windows this is very easy:

fa713d12f2d9ec346702a59192fbc263.png

Just to make this 100% clear, Java does NOT run on the JDK. It runs on the JRE which comes with the JDK or as a standalone. 

Thank you for the detailed explanation, much appreciated :)