90 Day UI Challenge

Mister Slyther

I've set myself a 90 day UI Challenge, i have to design a UI interface or a series that are related to each other starting from today. One concept or a series per day.

I had to do this because I realized I'm about to become a year 1 Graphics Student (after I completed my foundation year already) and so I needed to start working on my career and the path that I decided to take and that is becoming a UI/UX Designer.

I have read the common mistakes that UI designers do and a few things that should be avoided. My goal is to eliminate those mistakes and create innovative designs that are user friendly.

Software being used: Adobe Experience Design

On a site note, i'm hoping the colors don't appear too strong (too much saturation), because if your screens device is old that may occur. I have recently purchased a HP Omen laptop for gaming and designing purposes. The screen is great.

Day 1: Starters and Introduction (Basic Design)

j1Ot7ex.jpg

Edited by Mister Slyther
  • Like 6

Is there actually a benefit to use lots of round parts in interfaces/on websites?

It seems like most websites/apps always seem to be based on similiar styles.

I have no expierence with designing or anything like that im just wondering if its statistically more succesfull to use such a design or just in general the most common design type?

Just wondering and maybe you can answer it as a graphics student :D

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ez11 said:

Is there actually a benefit to use lots of round parts in interfaces/on websites?

I have no expierence with designing or anything like that im just wondering if its statistically more succesfull to use such a design or just in general the most common design type?

For som reason clients love the fucking round buttons etc never understood it myself but when i used to make website they always wanted each button/picture etc be round af.

Also goodluck on your project @Mister Slyther

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ez11 said:

Very good question, the rounded rectangles are lesh harsh than ordinary rectangles. Psychologists have also stated that rounded corners are more soothing and welcoming. Hence why allot of apps and UI designers use rounded corners. 

Rounded corners are more visually appealing than just ordinary rectangles as well, at least in my opinion.

I've read an article 2 days ago, take a look at the difference: 

I personally know what you mean by how apps have similar designs/concepts. Which is why I'm going to try to be more creative and innovative, as well considering the User Experience for users. As a UI designer, you need to make sure that it isn't difficult for users to navigate when using interfaces and inputting information.

imessage.jpg

android-texting.jpg

Edited by Mister Slyther
  • Like 4

- I see three verbs: 'sign in', 'register' & 'log in'. You only need two, one for each action / flow.

- 'Forgot your password' indirectly blames the user and is not complete, what if the user forgot his username? 'Trouble logging in?' Is a personal favourite of mine.

- Light pink placeholder text on a white background is a big no no for me.

- Getting a user to register is a lot more difficult than convincing an existing user to log back in, yet in this piece both seem equally important, emphasise more valuable call-to-actions. On top of this, mobile apps keep you logged in most of the time so the space you give to the 'sign in' action really is wasted.

- You are literally asking the user: 'Sign in or Register?', you should answer these questions for him (oh & flip the order, see comment above): "New user? Register. Existing user? Sign in."

As is, you're not convincing me to press that register button. I takes more than a flashy shade of pink these days ; )

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Botre said:

- I see three verbs: 'sign in', 'register' & 'log in'. You only need two, one for each action / flow.

- 'Forgot your password' indirectly blames the user and is not complete, what if the user forgot his username? 'Trouble logging in?' Is a personal favourite of mine.

- Light pink placeholder text on a white background is a big no no for me.

- Getting a user to register is a lot more difficult than convincing an existing user to log back in, yet in this piece both seem equally important, emphasise more valuable call-to-actions. On top of this, mobile apps keep you logged in most of the time so the space you give to the 'sign in' action really is wasted.

- You are literally asking the user: 'Sign in or Register?', you should answer these questions for him (oh & flip the order, see comment above): "New user? Register. Existing user? Sign in."

As is, you're not convincing me to press that register button. I takes more than a flashy shade of pink these days ; )

Thanks for the feedback, hence why i called day 1 basic design haha, its basic. Im not particularly concerned about the language im using, as i looked at the designs of professionla UI designers and the language I used is what they used. So im following with it.

• 2 years later...