Easy Guide to Port Forwarding

Gildarts

Port Forwarding - A Simple Guide

Welcome to my tutorial for port forwarding on Windows.

Follow this guide step by step if you are having connection issues.

The port we are forwarding is 50050.

If you already know how to perform a step, move on to the next one.

If you know your gateway, start at step 3.

Step 1 - Opening command prompt

The gateway to a router is the address, or IP, that serves as an access point to your default network.

If you don't know your router's gateway, you can find this out using a simple command through cmd, or command prompt.

To open the Command Prompt, hold down the windows key (next to the Alt key) and press "r". (Windows 7 users can open the start menu and type "cmd" and then enter, bypassing the run entry)

This will bring up a window (called run) that looks like this:

7c01b3b62a3d80271eb34525d0f7fe42.png

In the text box, type "cmd" (without quotations).

So, now you should have something like this open:

78f36b7b2545698df7ad7d9a4280b165.png

Step 2 - Finding out your default gateway

Now, once we have the command prompt open, we want to type "ipconfig" (without quotations) and hit enter.

Something like this should come up (it's different depending on your network):

773729f4e416c09d97d8d7d6336fd2d0.png

If you are on LAN (have an ethernet cable plugged into your PC), you will find your gateway where the first (smaller) red arrow is.

If you are on a wireless connection (say, on a laptop without an ethernet cable plugged in), you will find your gateway where the second (bigger) red arrow is.

The blue arrow is pointing to your IPv4 (or IPv6) address. You will need this later, so memorize or write down whatever numbers come after the third dot (the underlined ones).

For example, since I am currently on a laptop using a wireless connection, I would look where the second arrow is. (192.168.1.1)

Step 3 - Gaining access to your router's settings

After discovering what your default gateway is, go ahead and plug it into your browser's URL bar. I use Nightly/Firefox, so my URL bar looks like this:

8760034d320e9940993bf51240fa71cc.png

After plugging in the gateway:

0a30e04a66a8fd999c12434e55b75ab8.png

Now hit enter, and it will ask for a username and password.

84ea937e16ee82f304ae62fbc7c6fd89.png

If you don't know your router's username or password, try the user being "root" and the password being "admin".

If that doesn't work, check here to search for your router's default username and password combination.

After getting the correct username and password combination, it will take you to your router's settings page.

Step 4 - Port Forwarding

Once in your router's settings, search for "Port Forwarding" or "Single Port Forwarding" under one of the tabs.

e49ced1d42120024400e02bb84dcc485.png

Mine happens to be under Applications and Gaming, but once again, this varies per router.

Now, since we want to forward port 50050, put it in the "port" field. (if you have an "internal port" and "external port" field like my router, put it in both)

In the "To IP Address" field, put your IPv4 (or IPv6) address in. (the blue arrow above)

Make sure "Protocol" is set to both and if there is an "Enabled" checkbox, make sure it's checked.

549e204da67e083328b68f5b3377b5de.png

6dbd0d32055fa7e4561745133549ca4e.png

Now, save your settings in your router and you should be good to go.

74cd78cc8a4e18ec3d2882b293401a07.png

Thanks for reading my guide, and if you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a PM or come into the chatbox.

-Sherlock

• Like 8

my routor don have Port Forwarding ~

Have you checked all of the tabs in your router's Settings page?

If you're sure your router is unable to port forward, you'll have to get a 3rd party program.

One of many programs to perform this task is here. (use at your own risk - untested)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey thanks for the guide man, will be useful to others

I find when showing people to do it via your router page people still seem to have a lot of issues as every router / modem is different.

I recommend anyone who can't seem to open their ports to try port forwarding via utorrent.

Edited by Mou

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...