General Chemistry Help Needed

Orange

Thanks in advance so I'm studying for my final which is tommorow night, I understand Lewis dot structures like the first picture:

70aff5a2e215a316b97c7e007832df23.png

but I don't understand ones that look like this:

d33b255274bf7b8edc79113539d791b5.png

So I guess what i'm looking for is how do you know which bonds are the carbon ones/nitrogen, and do the sides represent bonds as well ?

Edited by Orange

The line is the bond, the "point" is the C, and it's understood to be filled by hydrogens.

The line on the inner side of the cyclo molecule means it is double bonded, so you would remove a hydrogen from both "points" to satisfy the orbitals.

The left molecule by itself is Benzene. Which can also be expressed like this. (Its rotated so the double bonds dont match up but you get the point)

benzene.png

Edited by Timekeeper

The line is the bond, the "point" is the C, and it's understood to be filled by hydrogens.

The line on the inner side of the cyclo molecule means it is double bonded, so you would remove a hydrogen from both "points" to satisfy the orbitals.

what exactly is the point ? And thanks for putting a helpful post <3

i like your signature 

Thanks fellow twc member="adapt" made it for me :doge:

doot.gif Is this really your homework or did you scam that from someone too doot.gif

I found random examples from the internet, and its not really homework its just I see pictures like the 2nd one and have no clue how to tell how many bonds are in it :feels:

what exactly is the point ? And thanks for putting a helpful post QwPha8E.png

Thanks fellow twc member="adapt" made it for me doge.png

I found random examples from the internet, and its not really homework its just I see pictures like the 2nd one and have no clue how to tell how many bonds are in it feels.png

The apex. I edited in a picture that better shows what I am talking about.

• Like 1

This is something that is more of Organic Chemistry so I am surprised you are seeing it in gen chem. 

Basically each one of the circles is a ring and each point is a carbon atom. The two lines represent a double bond between the carbons. Aromatic rings are very stable. 

Nitrogen is a third row( column) element so we know that it wants to have 3 bonds and a lone pair to be stable. 

As the Nitrogen has no net charge on it, we can assume the nitrogen has a lone pair of electrons on it that are localized by the aromatic ring. 

This compound would be a very weak base because the Nitrogen does not want to give its electrons away. 

Edited by Juggles
  • Like 1

The apex. I edited in a picture that better shows what I am talking about.

This is something that is more of Organic Chemistry so I am surprised you are seeing it in gen chem. 

Basically each one of the circles is a ring and each point is a carbon atom. The two lines represent a double bond between the carbons. Aromatic rings are very stable. 

Nitrogen is a third row element so we know that it wants to have 3 bonds and a lone pair to be stable. 

As the Nitrogen has no net charge on it, we can assume the nitrogen has a lone pair of electrons on it that are localized by the aromatic ring. 

This compound would be a very weak base because the Nitrogen does not want to give its electrons away. 

Thanks both for the help makes better since now :), and yea I've only had like one problem like this on a past test and it was a CH3 molecule and it asked how many lone pairs it needed to complete its lewis structure, I guessed 0 and got it right, but im sitting here reviewing all my material and it was frustrating me cause I couldn't understand how to read it/how I got it write, because i just see a hexagon shape with 3 lines inside.

Thanks both for the help makes better since now smile.png, and yea I've only had like one problem like this on a past test and it was a CH3 molecule and it asked how many lone pairs it needed to complete its lewis structure, I guessed 0 and got it right, but im sitting here reviewing all my material and it was frustrating me cause I couldn't understand how to read it/how I got it write, because i just see a hexagon shape with 3 lines inside.

Yeah they shouldn't be testing you on line bond structures in gen chem. It's not learned until Organic Chemistry so it doesn't make much sense. 

Gen chem students don't understand what that is. 

Thanks both for the help makes better since now smile.png, and yea I've only had like one problem like this on a past test and it was a CH3 molecule and it asked how many lone pairs it needed to complete its lewis structure, I guessed 0 and got it right, but im sitting here reviewing all my material and it was frustrating me cause I couldn't understand how to read it/how I got it write, because i just see a hexagon shape with 3 lines inside.

Ahh the helps a whole lot, so I see the carbons now but, what about nitrogen, what does the line coming from the top of the right structure linked to the N mean ?

Yeah they shouldn't be testing you on line bond structures in gen chem. It's not learned until Organic Chemistry so it doesn't make much sense. 

Gen chem students don't understand what that is. 

Yea it was confusing, but now that I think of it it might've been a bonus question because it was the last question on the test but either way it got my mind thinking :doge:

Ahh the helps a whole lot, so I see the carbons now but, what about nitrogen, what does the line coming from the top of the right structure linked to the N mean ?

Yea it was confusing, but now that I think of it it might've been a bonus question because it was the last question on the test but either way it got my mind thinking doge.png

It means the Nitrogen is a substituent on the aromatic ring.