[Help] Powerline Network [Question]

Oliver

The Produkt:

TP-Link TL-PA4010PKIT AV500 Powerline

My question:

So the internet at my gf's home is more than horrible. 

The router stands in her dad's room downstairs and there is no way to bring a good wifi to her room. I tried it with wlan repeater already but it did not help (much). 

My question regarding the TP-Link Powerline, is this device using the normal power line in a house "like a lan wire" ? 

Does this work with every power line or do I need "smart home" systems? Would this be a solution for me? Does the device create wifi upstairs or do I need a lan cable for the laptop etc.?

Thank you!

No need for smart home systems afaik, just plug the device on the electricity net in your home, plug in the UTP cable downstairs.

Place 2nd powerline @ desired room on electricity net, and you can place a router there with the UTP coming from the powerline in room to create a wifi there, or just plug in the utp directly into PC (:

Edited by Howest User

You plug one in downstairs on the main power net, with a lan cable in it, then upstairs you plug one in (on the same power net), plug in a lan cable and you have lan upstairs. You could connect it to a router upstairs or just directly connect it to the laptop that doesn't matter, you get full acces.

Edited by Rudie

No need for smart home systems afaik, just plug the device on the electricity net in your home, plug in the UTP cable downstairs.

Place 2nd powerline @ desired room on electricity net, and you can place a router there with the UTP coming from the powerline in room to create a wifi there, or just plug in the utp directly into PC (:

Thank you mate!

But this is NO wlan repeater? It uses the homes electricity cables (power lines, not sure whats the correct word) ?

Basically what it does, you plug an ethernet cable to one of the powerline adapters then it makes your house electricity lines act as an "ethernet cable" and it sends information to the other adapter. From which you can connect another ethernet cable to a computer/tv/etc. And it gives a pass trough to electricity too.

What it doesnt do, give you wifi capabilities.

To get wifi and ethernet you need a different plug.

Like:

http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-18_TL-WPA4220KIT.html

The issue with the one I provided that it removes the accessibility to the electrical socket.

Basically what it does, you plug an ethernet cable to one of the powerline adapters then it makes your house electricity lines act as an "ethernet cable" and it sends information to the other adapter. From which you can connect another ethernet cable to a computer/tv/etc. And it gives a pass trough to electricity too.

What it doesnt do, give you wifi capabilities.

To get wifi and ethernet you need a different plug.

Like:

http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-18_TL-WPA4220KIT.html

The issue with the one I provided that it removes the accessibility to the electrical socket.

thank you!

perfect explained

• Like 1

You get 2 boxes, each has a ethernet port and an electrical plug. You plug one side to the router, plug in to wall, go to where you want internet, plug the other in to wall, press the buttons on them to sync, your ready. It'll work with standard electrical ran through the walls, nothing special required. No wifi, you just get an ethernet port at the other end, you can add a router to that tho.

The only issue is these basically cause interference over the lines, so any sensitive equipment (my TV with over-the-air would become pure static when I used them, no probs with cable) will pick up the noise.

I have a set of those myself, they work great. Got <1ms ping to router consitently, gamed on them fine, data transfer is good enough for most uses (I only got 90mbps internet so poor test, did no lan tests). Easier than running a wire.

Edited by Lemons

Thank you all for the quick help and good explained answers! 

You get 2 boxes, each has a ethernet port and an electrical plug. You plug one side to the router, plug in to wall, go to where you want internet, plug the other in to wall, press the buttons on them to sync, your ready. It'll work with standard electrical ran through the walls, nothing special required. No wifi, you just get an ethernet port at the other end, you can add a router to that tho.

The only issue is these basically cause interference over the lines, so any sensitive equipment (my TV with over-the-air would become pure static when I used them, no probs with cable) will pick up the noise.

I have a set of those myself, they work great. Got <1ms ping to router consitently, gamed on them fine, data transfer is good enough for most uses (I only got 90mbps internet so poor test, did no lan tests). Easier than running a wire.

90mb .....

crying here with 7,6 mb :(

@Acerd cries in 0,5mb :doge: